Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Toucans!

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Toucans!

Postby Viatrixa » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:40 pm

So okay; they aren't parrots, but I heard that toucans are comparable to parrots when it comes to pet birds. They are intelligent and playful, but need way more room than a parrot due to their large beaks. Apparently smaller toucans in particular make for decent pets. Apparently toucans are also quite fond of being petted and quickly bond with a properly caring owner.

I have no idea how much of any of this is true; but I've always been fascinated by toucans. Ever since I was a child I thought they were amazing birds with their gorgeously colored beaks and button eyes. I only even found out just recently that they can be kept as pets (once again if the person knows what they're doing). I'd imagine that much like most well kept and loved parrots, they're only caged for the night?

Does anyone around here own a toucan? I don't plan on getting one but I'd love to know of them! Do you need a special license for one? I hear their dietary needs can be a bit demanding but elsewise they are more or less comparable to parrots. Could they get along with parrots? (once again, I'm only speculating but sometimes birds of different species get along with each other)
Viatrixa
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parent reared male indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: Toucans!

Postby Viatrixa » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:01 pm

I'm just bumping this! It got no replies - does no one out there have a little toucan? :D I'd love to know about them!
Viatrixa
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parent reared male indian ringneck

Postby Chantilly » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:59 am

I have never owned one, dont think you can get them as a pet in Australia, and if so you would likely need a liscence for them (here in Australia)... I have always marveled over them though! They seem like great pets. I dont know about anyone else, but the reason i didnt reply is i dont visit the catagory this thread is in often :lol:
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby liz » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:43 am

I have had no physical contact. When looking for a new home I came across one that was also an avian rescue. They had a fantastic set up and called each bird by name. All the Macaws were together and also the Cockatoos. The smaller birds were somewhat mixed when there were only a few of one kind they were added to the ones they got along with. There was one IRN mixed in with the Cockatiels and so on. The had rescued one Toucan and it had it's own flight cage. Since I was looking for a new home I did not dwell on the beautiful birds.
These people were really in tune with the birds and cared for them lovingly. They must have known something about that Toucan that could not be ignored. He was kept in a flight cage alone but between two other species and could socialize with the others without sharing a cage.
I wish I had taken time to ask.
That is my whole knowledge of them. Sorry I don't have more.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:18 am

I do not know enough about them to have any thing really constructive to say about them. I have always marveled at the size of that beak and how they can keep from falling over with it sticking out in front of them like it does, let alone how they can fly with it. I don't know if it is true with all of them, but I know that some of them are at least partial carnivores and that might not work well with my parrots. They are beautiful birds and are also very intelligent and I hear that they are great companions and that is the sum total of what I think I know about them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Parrot Species