Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Meyer's vs. brown head

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Meyer's vs. brown head

Postby Cpara » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:30 am

Hi, my name is Cindy and I am a new member of this forum. So, I've been researching about poicephalus species, and I really liked the red bellied, but the price was throwing me off.I also really loved the Meyer's parrot :meyers: and the brown head,I am looking for a small bird with a big personality, I also love clownish birds!If you guys have anymore suggestions, please tell me!
Cpara
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Meyer's vs. brown head

Postby Cpara » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:15 pm

I also liked some aratinga conures, but something quieter is best,do pyhurras have a big personality too?
Cpara
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Re: Meyer's vs. brown head

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:20 pm

My favorite is the Red Bellys. To me they are worth a bigger price. They really do have the big parrot personality. They are very robust parots and can recover from almost everything, very rare one will ever pluck, no matter what, they can be feisty but also very playfull and have emotional depth. They are less prone to phobic behaviors too. I belong to a poi group and the members own Pois and most have more than one, Many have stated at one time or another that they can see their Red Bellies are more intelligent than the other smaller Pois. One person said that the word she had come up with was that Red Bellys have "soul" More than a dozen people agreed with that.

Meyers are nice if you want a easier to get along with things parrot, they are very acrobatic, want to be doing what eveyone else does, and Brown headed tend to be more mellow, with less of the biting phases, and more cuddly than Meyers but these are generalizations. they all have similarities,and none of them have read the books....lol...so they may not be like is said. If you do get a Poi I recomend joining the Poi group. Pois are independant, stubborn, with big personalities, and there is lots of support and info on all the poi species there from the owner.

If you choose the conure, they are fun and acrobatic. They do tend to be more nippy than any Poi though. Again each parrot is different, so yours will be its own parrot with its own personality.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Return to Parrot Species