Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird ID

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Bird ID

Postby BrynnaCC » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:08 am

Hello!

I'm new to these forums. I'm known as the animal expert among my friends, so when a privately-owned aviary maintenance job popped up, I was recommended for it.

Sadly, when I got to the aviary, it seems to be in pretty bad disrepair. It's a large aviary, but only six birds are left, and the place was completely filthy. I've managed to clean a lot of it up, but the birds are a bit thin and looking a little ragged. Owner wanted me to just come in once a month to feed them, but I managed to negotiate an every-other-day feeding deal, which I realize is still pushing it in terms of quality of life, but they'll only pay me for so much.

Anyway, I think I've correctly identified most of the birds (3 cockatiels, 2 Bourke's parakeets), but there's one left that I can't get an ID on. Aside from one of the cockatiels, the birds are not socialized, so I can't get them close to get a better look, so I'm hoping someone on this forum can help me. She's sitting on five eggs, although I have no idea if they're fertile, since her mate apparently died shortly before I was hired. It's the yellow bird in the pictures, with a fully-grown albeit thin cockatiel in there for size comparison. She seems larger than your average budgie. I wish I could get closer to take a better picture, but that seems to be as close as she'll get. Her eyes seem almost reddish, but I'm not sure if that's a feature or if she's unwell.

parakeets2.jpg
parakeets1.jpg
BrynnaCC
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Bird ID

Postby liz » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:18 am

It is a dirty job but someone has to do it. Your low pay and lack of hours to care for them can only be called merciful. You would probably have done it for free if you had known ahead of time how much filth the birds were in.

I volunteer at the NC Zoo in Wildlife Rehab. I did not have enough time to spare but went in once a week. My doctors would not let me take the shots required to work with furry animals so I just had birds and reptiles. The situation was as good as they could get it with only a few volunteers. I did enjoy being with the critters but with so little time I just resorted to cleaning cages. Not pretty but a dirty job that someone had to do. That is were I learned that the birds have such strong personalities. One goose was stubborn and would not come out for me to clean so I had to go crawl into the cage with him. He complained the whole time and to get his point across he bit me. (that was a funny looking bruise).

Thank you for taking on the dirty job and asking for more time to help them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:46 am

It looks like a lutino mutation of the Bourke. Thank you for taking an interest and trying to improve these poor birds lives. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you on this endeavor.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Chantilly » Sun May 01, 2016 1:23 am

To me it looks like a princess parrot (on the second picture it seems to have the same pinks and blues on the face, and the right size for a princess parrot too.) But very dull in comparison to the normal colouration of the princess parrot. http://www.barraimaging.com.au/Birds-By ... i-WpHZ5gh/
Princess parrots live in the same areas as the bourke so their body shape and sometimes colourations can look very similar, ecept for the size, the bourkes is about the size of a budgie whereas the princess parrot is more like the size of a small ringneck or a green cheek conure with a long tail.
And thankyou for taking on this dirty job although the pay is unfair, the birds deserve to be kept in proper conditions and they would be very grateful. Thankyou for improving their lives.
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby liz » Sun May 01, 2016 6:48 am

You are going into a worse situation than Nevra. He volunteered at a shelter to learn about birds and just never stopped volunteering. It is wonderful what he does and we love the reports we get from him.
Please keep us posted about your dirty job and the little beings you are helping.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby BrynnaCC » Sat May 07, 2016 5:12 pm

Hello!

I have an update and another question. The parakeets all seem okay, and the friendly cockatiel still seems healthy. He had one day of a bit of sneezing but he seems to be fine now, so I'm wondering if it was some kind of mild allergy or something. I've finally gotten one of the unfriendly cockatiels to come just close enough to get a good look at his eye, and it looks like it might be infected. He's still not socialized, so I can't catch him to take him to a vet without significant stress to all the birds, and I'd hate to ruin the tenuous relationship we have as it is. Is there any way to diagnose or treat him in the aviary? He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms aside from being on the thin side. He is active, vocal, and eating, and doesn't seem to be sneezing or wheezing. Do I just have to wait and hope I earn his trust?

IMAG4604.jpg
IMAG4604.jpg (70.92 KiB) Viewed 4529 times

IMAG4605.jpg
IMAG4605.jpg (84.6 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
BrynnaCC
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Sun May 08, 2016 6:37 am

I really can't say a lot other than to say that the eye does appear to be infected, but as to treatment for it I would have to say that Pajarita may be the most knowledgeable member here in this area of parrot keeping.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Sun May 08, 2016 9:38 am

What part of the country/world are you in? We are building an aviary, but it will only be for use during the day. Too could outside at night here,maven in the summer. We are right near the ocean and even July nights can have a cold wind.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 08, 2016 11:01 am

Yes, it does look like an infection and sneezing is another symptom of it. In birds, respiratories present in many forms and, believe it or not, an eye infection is a symptom of them. Do these birds eat enough betacarotene food? Because that can be the underlying cause of it...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby BrynnaCC » Sun May 08, 2016 3:00 pm

This is in Glendale, CA. They have a heating bulb if it starts getting cold, although we've had pretty temperate weather all year.

The sneezing was only for a day, but it was from a different bird. I'm hoping that one was just some kind of pollen reaction, because he seems to have stopped sneezing since.

I'm feeding them a combination of Zupreem FruitBlend Cockatiel Food, a seed mix (unmarked brand), sunflower seeds, a millet spray, and a small amount of whatever organic veggies are in my home fridge every other day (so far, I've done carrots, snap peas, and arugula). Is there a better brand I could be buying? The owners will let me invoice them on things like this if I need to.
BrynnaCC
Parakeet

Next

Return to Parrot Species