Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Swift parrot status changed

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Swift parrot status changed

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 06, 2016 1:05 pm

They have gone from just 'endangered' to 'critically endangered' which might not sound like a big thing but it makes a huge difference in the way they are regarded. I did not realize they were so bad off (extinct in 16 years from now!) or that they were pollinators - did any of you?

http://phys.org/news/2016-05-swift-parr ... gered.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Swift parrot status changed

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 17, 2016 10:59 am

I found this article about the swifts... it's a bit old but I had no idea that sugar gliders ate them! Did any of you?

http://theconversation.com/sugar-glider ... lame-19555
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed May 18, 2016 7:14 am

Pajarita wrote:I found this article about the swifts... it's a bit old but I had no idea that sugar gliders ate them! Did any of you?

http://theconversation.com/sugar-glider ... lame-19555

No and that feels strange.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:32 am

Now, on top of all their troubles and decreasing numbers, people are illegally cutting down the trees with nests in them!!! I tell you, sometimes, I just hate people!

See this article about it: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-29/s ... od/7672504
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Wolf » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:51 am

I generally don't like humans very much, don't get me wrong, I really enjoy meeting new people, it is just that 90% of the time or more, I would rather not have met the vast majority of them. Animal are much easier for me to relate too.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:08 am

AMEN to that!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:26 am

It might be too late in the season but, at least, they are trying to make up for the destroyed nests.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasma ... 4bf354342b
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:21 am

More news on the swifts. They are now going to make holes in the trees on top of the nests they prepared. It's refreshing to see that people cared so much that they volunteered and even companies donated their services, isn't it?

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/410922 ... e-rebuilt/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:28 am

Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:50 am

I didn't even know about the Kakapo until a camera man was shagged.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Next

Return to Parrot Species