Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Jardine and Meyer's hell

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Jardine and Meyer's hell

Postby liz » Sun May 15, 2016 8:04 am

Rambo dislikes having cockatiels near him. I think it is mostly that they move faster and upset him.
I one time forgot that Myrtle was on my shoulder when I went in the cockatiel room. She had such fun flying in circles and making the "baby birds" fly. I had to catch her on her next circle and get her out. I guess that is not much different than what Flutter does to them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby DanaandPod » Sun May 15, 2016 11:18 am

This is unfortunately my third try with replying due to technological issues on my end.
I actually have begun calling them by both names in hope to graduate to their new ones.
Pod went back to bullying. Im trying to keep her safe. Or as Parjarita said, "he" since he regurgitated for Pod. Why would a male do that though?
Earlier Pod cuddled for head scratches so he or she did the same. I had to take turns. The budgies are in their exclusive world. Both of the pois parrots take over their cage when they feel like it.
I am extremely patient. And have a very quiet and structured routine. This experience is only 25% fun for me. But, doing my best with the scenario. Right now i got a anti stress cd for parrots on...so both their eyes look heavy. And my nerves are replenishing. Yesterday Piccolo spent most the day in the sunny window. Compared to the dark windowless area she had a home, it was nice to see. They both have calm moments...and then poor Piccolo relentlessly tries to greet Pod with wings up... Only for me to referee. Otherwise, Pod does his usual... Seeking and getting into stuff on his own. And, if the slightest noise, usally from outside, spooks her to fly over and bite me. Wherever i am they both have to follow. Lol. Especially to the bathroom. I thought this would help but now i have two birds that must be by my side. Time will tell i guess...
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 16, 2016 9:54 am

Dana, it's males that feed the females by regurgitating. Females do it to the babies so they can feed them but males do it as part of their courtship of the female (to show they are good providers and a worthy mate). Sometimes, females do it with their chosen human but only when they are sexually frustrated (I guess they do it as a kind of: "See? this is what YOU are supposed to do!").

If you play your cards correctly, they will become friends. I don't know if they will become mate-bonded, though... for that, you should have made sure of the gender of the second bird first.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby DanaandPod » Tue May 17, 2016 10:41 pm

Why would a male regurgitate for another male? Doesnt he know its a male? Dang it. Well, even though it is becomming a real rough beginning afteralll...i have hope that they will become best friends! I think i can put up with this for a year till they show me their positions. To be clear though, feel free to please explain the behaviors of flock acceptance, friendship, and bonded. Thanks!
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue May 17, 2016 11:12 pm

You need to just go slowly with them. Have them out together when you are close enough to be with them and reward their good behavior to one another. Keep them out seperate if they are being to agressive with each other. Pois really are good at learning to get along with each other even if its only to tolerate each others presense. It will take your new parrot a while to get used to a new flock, it just takes time. Even two males can decide to be buddies, but it is usually best to have two differnt sexes. i can understand you being only 25% happy, It is work to socialize them to each other but when they do get along, your happiness will probably be 75%. Hang in there.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby liz » Wed May 18, 2016 7:12 am

My daughter had two male Love Birds. Their personalities were quite different. Tweetle Dee was stronger in every way as apposed to Tweetle Dumb. Tweetle Dee would feed Tweetle Dumb like a brother that needed help.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 18, 2016 10:00 am

DanaandPod wrote:Why would a male regurgitate for another male? Doesnt he know its a male? Dang it. Well, even though it is becomming a real rough beginning afteralll...i have hope that they will become best friends! I think i can put up with this for a year till they show me their positions. To be clear though, feel free to please explain the behaviors of flock acceptance, friendship, and bonded. Thanks!

:lol: How would he know the other one is a male when it belongs to a different species? Besides, overly hormonal birds (both male and female) would regurgitate to anybody or anything. I've heard of birds regurgitating to a toy and even to their own foot. The poor things can't help themselves.

Personally, I would have the second bird DNA'd (you did have Pod DNA'd, right?)

And, in my personal experience, it takes 2 to 3 years before you know what is what with parrots. As to behaviors when they are flock mates, it depends on the species but generally speaking you will see them perching side by side, sharing food, preening each other, when one takes flight the other one follows, when one leaves the room the other one flock calls to it, that kind of thing. Don't worry about not really knowing because you will when you see it - it's pretty obvious.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby DanaandPod » Wed May 18, 2016 3:08 pm

Pargarita, in one response you are saying he is definitely a boy if he is regurgitating. In another response you are saying that both males and females will regurgitate under high hormone levels etc. (i also have read this...and that the only way to know is to have them dna tested. Perhaps, I just didnt want to make an issue of it and just let you have the floor. Since, you are the proclaimed expert.) Once again, you are being interpreted as being condescending by laughing at my question: Why doesnt a female know if a male is a male parrot or not. It certainly isnt a question ive come across before on any site or in any book...therefore, ill assume its not a well known fact. Quite interesting one at that though. So thanks for giving me a subject to bring elsewhere. For now, im done with this thread. So, i will not be reading any more responses. Thank you!!! :)
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Postby seagoatdeb » Wed May 18, 2016 10:11 pm

Dana I hope you will be back to see my attempt to answer your question. You will not be really sure of sex of the parrot untill you see clear cut behavior that is unmistakable or dna evidence. in the wild, males usually are the ones feeding the females, but there really arent studies on every single species to be sure every species is that way, even in the wild.

In captivity, things change and either sex can be regurgitatiing. It could be because of hormones or it can be an attemp to flock bond to a human. Gaugan regurgitated a lot to my duaghter and me at around 4 years of age and she is a female, and then just stopped doing it after a couple years.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Wolf » Wed May 18, 2016 10:53 pm

I can't say that I have ever been asked before about why one male bird would regurgitate for another male of if they in fact can tell that the other bird is a male. I am not entirely sure if I can give a satisfactory answer as I have not considered it before now, but I will try.

As for the part where you ask if they can tell that the other one is a male or not, I think that the only answer that I can give is that yes they know the difference and they don't need a DNA test to know the difference. The part about the DNA test is entirely meant as humor, but I am very sure that they know right away what each others sex is. I really can't in honesty say what it is that makes them aware of the others sex is, it may have something to do with color as parrots see into the UV light spectrum which is totally invisible to us humans making us nearly color blind in comparison to them. It could have to do with the build of the bird or its posture, there are so many possibilities that it is very hard to say for certain how they know, but I can't recall a single instance in which they have not known. Parrots are highly communicative and they talk to each other not only through verbal means but through their body language as it would be very hard to hear your own mate over say 20 other birds all screaming at each other at the same time. So don't laugh too hard when I sat that it could be as simple as they ask each other. I think that it has more to do with color but asking would be just as good of a way for any intelligent creature. It would be kind of cool to hear what others think the answer might be as I really don't think that any of us know for sure. And that is the easier part of your question.

Why would one male parrot regurgitate for another male bird? This is much harder to answer. I know that the female and the male will do it in order to raise their young so that part is easy enough. The male does it for the female and again since it is part of their mating practices it is pretty easy to answer that part of it. But male to male or female to female is perhaps a whole other thing or maybe it is not.

I actually think that many times that birds of the same sex regurgitate for each other for the very same reasons that the do when they are of different sexes. Even in the wild it is not unknown for birds of the same sex to mate bond with each other. I really can't say anything like 10 or 12 per cent of the wild parrot population mate bonds with other parrots of the same sex, but I have read about it occurring.

It does occur in high hormonal periods of time, and it appears to occur in juvenile birds, perhaps more often than in adult birds. I wonder if it could be used as , not exactly submission towards a more aggressive bird, but perhaps as more of a peace offering, when one bird feels more intimidated by a more aggressive bird.

Well, Dana, that is about all that I have for possible answers for you about this, but I must admit to having to draw heavily upon things that I have read concerning regurgitation and why our bird do it A lot of it is just my thoughts concerning why they do it based on my understanding of the descriptions of other people telling us when their bird have regurgitated with another bird especially when they are know to be of the same sex.

Again it would be interesting to read what other people think about this behavior. I don't think that there has been any research into this area of our birds behaviors. I can't even say that any of my thoughts about this are right or not, just that these are some of my current thoughts about this behavior and I can only hope that maybe some of it makes a bit of sense to you. Although I don't have any pat answers on this type of behavior to share with you I do thank you for asking it. It makes me have to stop and really think about my answers and even then I can't claim that any of them are right. I wish that I could be of more help than this.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species