Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Anyone else's bird...

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Anyone else's bird...

Postby kimbo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:37 pm

every time keith comes in chico clacks his beak, pins his eyes and flaps his wings like mad, then trys to feed him and wont get off him, much to my amusement. :senegal:
kimbo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Postby pfinarffle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:36 am

kimbo wrote:every time keith comes in chico clacks his beak, pins his eyes and flaps his wings like mad, then trys to feed him and wont get off him, much to my amusement. :senegal:

Bingo. Ours also taps his beak on objects, turns his head side to side, struts around with his wings lowered at his sides, and makes this harmonica-like "come hither" chirp. He also wolf whistles. Was wolf whistling at me as I was on a stair machine this morning. Gotta hand it to him, he knows how to work the ladies. ;)

Anyway, the hut has been removed as he nearly chewed a hole through the bottom of it. I was also worried he'd accidentally swallow the fuzzy material somehow (though I'd never witnessed him swallow any of it before). He's still behaving hormonally for sure. If anything, it's probably left him with no outlet whatsoever for his mating instincts as at least before he was able to try to build a nest. Meh. :roll: All I can say is, enjoy your baby birds while you can! :lol:
pfinarffle
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby kimbo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:39 am

chico isnt even one yet. what age do they start breeding ? :senegal:
kimbo
Poicephalus

Postby pfinarffle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:01 am

Sennies reach maturity at 3 - 4 years. You have much to look forward to. ;) Actually, it seems pretty variable with species and even individual birds. Just like people, they seem to have differing levels of libido. Our Timneh Grey was only occasionally trying to regurgitate for us, and otherwise did nothing remotely sexual. Our cockatiel was constantly "playing" with his play gym to get his jollies. This bird seems somewhere in between but behaves very seasonally.
pfinarffle
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby kimbo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:05 pm

he rules the roost now lol. god knows what he will be like then. should be good finding out. he ignores me when keith walks in now. but have combated that, i get him to step up on me first then keith, so we both get what we want. except keith he gets the gross bit and the beak, lovely. i get more time with him when keiths out. have taught him to turn round, shake claws, and now to put stuff in a cup, even puts his ball in, which is amazing cause hes so toy possessive. trying to get him to accept my hand on his back and he lets me do it for a few seconds, the goal is to get him to lay in my hand, but will get there. :senegal:
kimbo
Poicephalus

Postby crousseau » Tue May 04, 2010 2:12 pm

This is my first spring with a Parrot, and looking at these posts I see why she was being so loud. I thought it was an attention thing but after reading some of these posts I think she was just going thru the Spring thing. She's totally turned around the last two weeks.

The incessive screaming got so bad that I was thinking of rehoming her because my family was miserable, but luckily we held out long enough to realise that it's just a phase.
crousseau
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Previous

Return to Parrot Species