Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Anyone else's bird...

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Anyone else's bird...

Postby pfinarffle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:33 pm

... gone absolutely bonkers due to hormones of late? Our Sennie is incessantly screaming, chewing and doing other sundry things. Am wondering how long it'll go on for. :?
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Anyone else's bird...

Postby kimbo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:36 pm

have no idea how long it goes on for but mines the same, breeding season and moulting both have something to do with it. keeping them occupied is the key, i think but pretty hard to do when they are screeching and flapping. i will let you know when chico calms down if you will do the same. how old is your bird? couldnt be terrible twos? :senegal:
kimbo
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Postby pfinarffle » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:55 am

Ours is a foster bird who's been to many homes, so we're unsure his exact age. But it's definitely up there, much higher than 2, more like 10 - 15 probably. Too bad we can't figure out their age on appearances alone. Will keep you posted on the hormonalness. He is a DNA sexed male, and I've heard the mating season effects males behaviors a lot more than females in Senegals. Wonder if that's the case in all birds.

Lately we've been taking him out hiking in the nicer weather we're getting. Used one of those lovely Adventure Packs. It really seemed to cut down on his incessant screaming and chewing yesterday. Anything really novel seem to distract very well.
pfinarffle
Conure

Postby kimbo » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:06 am

where did you get your :senegal: from, you said foster bird, are you a member of bird sanctuary? i want a rehome next but want to help a needy bird, rather than buy an overpriced one. sounds like you are working through the behaviour, well done. :senegal: is your bird clipped? do you take him out on harness, havnt managed that myself yet.
kimbo
Poicephalus

Postby pfinarffle » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:26 am

where did you get your :senegal: from, you said foster bird, are you a member of bird sanctuary? i want a rehome next but want to help a needy bird, rather than buy an overpriced one. sounds like you are working through the behaviour, well done. :senegal: is your bird clipped? do you take him out on harness, havnt managed that myself yet.

Phoenix Landing Foundation. it's based along a good portion of the middle East coast. Fabulous classes and very knowledgeable group of people in general. It makes me happy thinking this little guy would've had a very worse fate had I not come along at just the right time to help him out. We'll probably officially adopt him in the next month or so. Anyway, he is clipped. We tried him unclipped for a while, but there's a window that he flew through to get into the kitchen and I drew the line there. We have him flap his wings on our arms for exercise and he roams the apartment under supervision. We have various bird suits and leashes and such. But he is older and very resistant to them at this point. I won't give up on them, but it seems the outdoor cage/carrier option is probably the safest in terms of predator birds overhead anyway.
pfinarffle
Conure

Postby pfinarffle » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:55 am

Oh man, now our :senegal: has discovered the Happy Hut. The tent has been in his cage since November. We thought he'd like it to keep himself warm through the drafty winters. He never bothered with it. But with the hormones lately... I swear he spends more time in there than doing anything else now. Perhaps he thinks if he waits in there a female might come along? He'll also try to chew at it to make it more his own, the way the males will hollow out trees/logs as nests. It's kinda cute but also sad. Poor guy!
pfinarffle
Conure

Postby phutch » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:26 pm

Your birds Happy Hut has now bocome his nest cavity, so this is going to make the hormones worse.

If you take it out it won't stop them altogether but it should help it to subside.
phutch
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Goffins cockatoo
Yellow Collared Mini Macaw
African Grey

Postby pfinarffle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:52 pm

phutch wrote:Your birds Happy Hut has now bocome his nest cavity, so this is going to make the hormones worse.

If you take it out it won't stop them altogether but it should help it to subside.

That's what I figured. But don't females typically make nests? I'd heard such stories about females for sure. Didn't think a male parrot would go about fluffing up a tent to make a nest. :?
pfinarffle
Conure

Postby kimbo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:56 pm

my sennie is either gay or a girl (not dnad) cause he/she is trying to feed my husband and is trying to nest behind my sofa cushions.
kimbo
Poicephalus

Postby miajag » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:41 pm

My Quaker is in the middle of a molt but I haven't noticed any behavior changes at all, really. She's less than a year old, though, so I don't think she's sexually mature yet.
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Next

Return to Parrot Species