Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Would you recommend an African Grey for me?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Would you recommend an African Grey for me?

Postby Bellatrix » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:14 pm

Hello. I'm new here, and wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but I thought housing might be most appropriate since I'm wondering about whether or not everyone here thinks it would be a good idea for me to house/own an African Grey. It would probably be better to understand a little bit about my experience and the situation the birds would be in.

I'm 15, going on 16. I have owned birds before. I owned two lovely cockatiels and four parakeets. I have always loved birds, and greatly admire parrots like the African Grey. I have been searching for some time for another bird to call my own, but I do not have the several hundred (or probably over a thousand) dollars it would take for me to be able to purchase a large bird and a cage. However, I recently happened upon an ad on Craigslist for someone looking to rehome two 18 month old African Greys. Since the rehoming fee is manageable for someone my age with a couple hundred dollars to spend, I would like to consider taking these two beautiful birds, seeing as they come with a cage and just about everything else I would need.

I am well aware of the fact that these birds will live a very long time, and that they take a lot of time and dedication. I've done plenty of reading and research on how to care for them. I am fully accepting of the responsibility required to own them, and have spoken to my family about what will happen once I go to college. My family will have no problem taking care of them, because my mother has had lots of experience with birds. Since I will be getting a job within the next month or so, I will not have a problem setting some money aside for bird food, possible vet visits, or anything else they may need, because when I own animals, I do not skimp on their care in the least. My only concern is that this would be my first time owning a large bird, and I'm wondering if those of you that have experience with African Greys think I would be able to handle it. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Bellatrix
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: None currently.
Flight: Yes

Re: Would you recommend an African Grey for me?

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:48 am

Well, I have to tell you that, given your age, I would say that grays are not what you should be looking for. You haven't even finished high school and your life is going to become pretty busy and complicated in the next 10 years. This will prevent you from spending with them the number of hours that grays need to remain healthy and happy (they are VERY needy birds). And, although your family willingness to care for them when you go to college is admirable, parrots are not like canaries and they cannot be cared for by just anybody, they actually choose one human to love (they are not a 'family' pet, they are a single human companion) and, when that human is not around or cannot spend the amount of time they need, they will suffer tremendously. Grays are difficult birds, they are needy, highly intelligent and high-strung which makes them VERY prone to plucking and self-mutilation when they are not getting what they need.

I would also question two juvenile grays that are going for a cheap price - people don't sell two juvenile grays with cage and everything for less than one would pay for a baby from a breeder. It just doesn't happen because, if they are not interested in getting at least part of their money back and only want to find them a good home, they would put them in a good rescue instead of posting them on CL.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bellatrix » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:50 pm

Thanks for the input. Would you be able to recommend any birds that may suit me? I'm looking to get away from regular old parakeets and cockatiels. However, if that's what would probably work the best, then I wouldn't mind getting myself another pair of cockatiels.
Bellatrix
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: None currently.

Postby Wolf » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:55 pm

I want to begin this with the fact that I have a Grey and they do indeed, require a lot of attention from their chosen human, and no one else will do. They are one person birds and they feel that it is their right that you spend all of your time with them. My grey came to me as a plucking and self mutilating bird, all due to the fact that her human went away and left her. When we met it was like love at first sight and she was very happy to be with me. This winter/ spring I was down and due to being sick for a while, several days, she started to pluck again. As soon as I was physically able to get up and be with her again the plucking stopped again. This is just one illustration of the type of commitment that a grey requires from their human. If you can't give this level of personal one on one time to them, then both you and they are better off without you.

Now, I do not recommend any type of parrot to any person for any reason, but what you could do to help yourself with this is to make a list of exactly what you have to offer to the bird and its well being and that includes the living conditions, medical care, time out of the cage on a daily basis as well as personal one on one time with the bird.

Once you have done this and given it a day or two, then you should make a second list of what you are looking for in a bird and then rate this list in accord with what is the most important things. Then if you will post this here there are other people that can better assist you as to what species of parrot might be more suitable for you.

I hope that this will be helpful to you.
Wolf
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:57 pm

Bellatrix wrote:Thanks for the input. Would you be able to recommend any birds that may suit me? I'm looking to get away from regular old parakeets and cockatiels. However, if that's what would probably work the best, then I wouldn't mind getting myself another pair of cockatiels.

Wolf is correct. Making two lists and seeing where they 'meet' would be very helpful. But if you want my personal opinion and given the fact that you will be leaving in a couple of years, I would not get any companion species. I would get a male-female pair of an aviary species but they not necessarily have to be cockatiels or budgies, you could get linnies, beebees, canary winged or any type of grass parakeet, for example. They are small, cute, affectionate, will relate better to a human than other aviary species, they are relatively easy to care for and would adjust to been cared for by another person as long as their living conditions remain the same and they have a mate of their own.

See below:
http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatbirdb ... 2l-l4-cFMs
http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatbirdb ... 2l-wY-cFMs
http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-species ... eet-2.aspx
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Species