Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I might be the parront of a pied Senegal

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

I might be the parront of a pied Senegal

Postby SirMarty » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:51 am

Hi guys, I googled this and saw very few threads on parrot forums and sparse information online about pied or yellow-factor Senegals. I thought I'd bring it up again since I might be a parront of one.

I would just like to mention a couple of things beforehand though before I share some pictures.

He is 2 years old. 2 months before he turned 2 he went to the vet for excessive watery stool. He got the full initial treatment: x-rays, out-of-lab blood work, fecal work. Everything came back normal, except that he had heightened protein levels. The vet and the pet store I purchased him from had told me that this could be a reason for his excessive yellow feathering.

However, I do have pictures of him before and after he turned 1. You can see, although very slight, few yellow spots and patches. However, months after he turned 1 I'm guessing he went through a slow molt and got more and more yellow.

As for diet, he had been on the same seed/pellet diet since he was weaned up until late May. My vet had me switch to Harrison's and now him and 2 of my other fids have converted to that while still getting fruits and veggies.

In late May they also got bird UVA/UVB lights. The pet store I got him from said this could actually make him more yellow instead in his next molt.

Last thing is that the breeder they got him from was not breeding something like a pied Senegal. The pet store said if he is something like this the breeder would've likely kept him back and not sold him to the store had they known.

Now for some pictures!

Baby Kisses:

4 months ago:

2 months ago. You can't see it but his back has some mild yellow feathering:

Four days ago:
SirMarty
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Peach-faced Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Black-headed Caique, Jenday Conure
Flight: No

Re: I might be the parront of a pied Senegal

Postby Chantilly » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:13 am

Hello and welcome to the forum :D
You have a very beautiful birdie,
In hearing that you use UV, although I do not know much about UVA/B for birds (yet), there was somewhat recently a post on using lighting that I think would probably be good to take a look at, as using UV lights could be dangerous: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15114&p=111248&hilit=uv+lighting#p111248

:D Best wishes to you and your babies.
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:03 am

Hi and welcome to the forum! He does have very unusual plumage, that's for sure, because even the chest V is compromised by the different coloration... Very pretty, though! :D

What do you mean by 'heightened protein levels', exactly? Are we talking blood total protein or are we talking a diet too high in protein?

The yellow in a feather that is supposed to be green is actually caused by a deformity in the structure of the feather itself because blue (the color that mixed with yellow would make a feather green) is structural and not pigmental in nature so I don't know why you were told that high protein could cause it... - did anybody explain and, if so, can you tell us?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby owlyssa » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:36 am

Such a pretty birdy! :senegal:
owlyssa
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot - Kona
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:01 am

I don't know what the vet told you but pellets as a major portion of a parrots diet is not really all that much of an improvement over seeds being a major portion of their diet. The only real difference is the artificial vitamins and minerals which do help but are not as effective as natural vitamins and minerals. Neither seeds nor pellets should make up more than about 30% of the total dietary intake for the day, the rest should come from whole grains that are partly cooked, white beans and / or lentils( a source of protein) and a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Parrot Species