Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Tomo, the lovebird

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Tomo, the lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:05 am

Got a call on Saturday from a couple who have found a lovebird. They heard a bird chirping out in their balcony and saw a lovebird in it, they opened the doors, put some bread on the floor and in he came! Somebody they know knew about me from some years back and they called to see if I could take it and, of course, I said I would. We went to pick him up (the couple has no car) Sunday, put him in a bigger cage yesterday with a couple of toys, some nice branches for perches and a mineral block. This morning, I started him on the transition to gloop and I see him digging into his food bowl as I am typing this so it's working (he also took a couple of bites out of his banana).

He is an orange-face and they named him (we don't really know the gender) Tomo because one of them is Japanese and this word means 'friend' in that language. I will post in CL and in parrot911 to see if I can find the previous owner but, so far so good - he was a bit nervous yesterday (hanging from the top of the cage and such) but he seems much calmer today. If I can't find his previous owner, I will have to look for a companion for him...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Tomo, the lovebird

Postby Chantilly » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:53 am

Welcome Tomo to the flock (mabye) for me!!
Kudos for taking in the little guy :swaying:
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:23 am

He is doing VERY well, I am hoping he will start on his gloop today because I made a fresh batch and I saved some of the grains without any veggie for him so as to 'start' him off on the transition. I hardly ever bother to do this anymore but he is the only little one I have right now so I figured a bit of extra help was needed.

He chirps and chirps all the time, poor thing! Lovebirds that don't have mates or companions do that... But I have to sex him and wait until the quarantine is over to get him a mate.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:14 pm

Pajarita wrote:He is doing VERY well, I am hoping he will start on his gloop today because I made a fresh batch and I saved some of the grains without any veggie for him so as to 'start' him off on the transition. I hardly ever bother to do this anymore but he is the only little one I have right now so I figured a bit of extra help was needed.

He chirps and chirps all the time, poor thing! Lovebirds that don't have mates or companions do that... But I have to sex him and wait until the quarantine is over to get him a mate.

When I was taking care of a pair they were always chirping as they played and even when preening each other so I wouldn't agree with that.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Chantilly » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:54 pm

Pajarita wrote:He is doing VERY well, I am hoping he will start on his gloop today because I made a fresh batch and I saved some of the grains without any veggie for him so as to 'start' him off on the transition. I hardly ever bother to do this anymore but he is the only little one I have right now so I figured a bit of extra help was needed.

Poor lil guy, do lovebirds accept friends easily?
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:29 am

Chantilly wrote:

They can be territorial and very aggressive but I've never experienced what your asking but with my experience with lovebirds in general id say so.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby liz » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:29 am

Tweetle Dee and Tweetle Dumb were very tightly bonded. When Tweetle Dumb died, Tweetle Dee mourned him. He seemed depressed so I let him fly with the Cockatiels. He wanted to be with them and went back to their cage. I had to separate them even though he wanted to be with them. (Love Birds are more aggressive than Cockatiels. He had 4 Cockatiels trying to hide in a top corner of the cage.) He will accept another Love Bird.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:45 am

Chantilly wrote:

Oh, yes, they certainly do! But you have to be careful as to the genders if they are caged - it doesn't matter if you keep them cage-free. You can house two males and one male/one female together but you can't house two females because, eventually, they will fight. And that's why I need to sex or, if at all possible, find a male because that would work no matter what Tomo is. BUT if I went by his size (a bit small) and his temperament (sweet), I would say he is a male (which means nothing because I've had small, sweet females, too).

Yesterday, when I came downstairs to feed everybody dinner, he was out of his cage! I don't know if I did not lock the door properly or if he figured out how to open it but he was out ansd perching on top of Sunny's cage. I had put his cage in the farthest corner away from the other birds I have downstairs to make a quarantine of sorts because I don't have any 'good' rooms where I could put him completely away from them where there would be people, too, but this kind of screwed up the whole thing so I will have to be very vigilant in terms of symptoms in any of them. I stopped in front of him to talk to him and, when I kept on going to the kitchen, he flew to my shoulder so I ended up starting my evening chores with him. Once I got to the point that it was time for me to feed the birds dinner, I put his bowl with seeds in my right hand and showed it to him (he was perching on my right shoulder). He immediately started going down my arm but I did not allow him to get to the bowl until I was standing in front of his cage when I placed the bowl at the open door but, smart thing that he is, he did not try to reach it so I just turned around and fed all the other birds first with him trying to get to the bowls and me preventing it. When I had finished, I went back to his cage and did the same thing but, this time, he did get close to the bowl and reaching out with one foot, grabbed the edge and stretching and leaning over A LOT :D , he picked one seed. I did not move. He went back and took another seed (still with one foot on the bowl and the other on my hand) and I still did not move. But, when he went for the third seed, he put both his feet on the bowl and then VERY slowly and praising him all the time as well as saying Nite Nite, I put his bowl in his cage. And that was that! Easy piecey lemon squeezy!

Then, this morning, when I came downstairs, I opened his cage and asked him to step up. He didn't. I asked him again and, again, he didn't. I closed the door to the cage and walked away to let the other birds out. Five minutes later, I went back and asked him again and, this time, he did step up and quickly climbed to my shoulder. He spent about 1.5 hours riding my shoulder and flying here and there (I was always keeping my eye on him because he is so little that I was afraid I was going to lose sight of him) and, by the time I was putting his bowl with cooked cereals and a bit of seed mixed in, he must have been real hungry so he went back in without a single problem. I also got him to step up to my finger without biting three times! What a sweetheart!!! He, obviously, belonged to somebody who loved him and was patient with him because he trusts and likes people and he is used to riding people's shoulders - and although he did hanged on a bit too hard on my finger the first time I asked him to step up, he did not really bite me. AND he took a bit of a bath in the sink. He got all excited when I was washing the bowls so I turned down the faucet to a mere trickle and put one medium size bowl under it - which he did not like so I switched it for a shallower one and he went right for it! AND I just saw three half-eaten kernels of barley on the bottom of his cage so he already started trying them!

Between you and me, I hope I don't find the owner so I can keep him! :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Wolf » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:07 am

You are incorragable. :lol: :lol:
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:29 am

I know, I know... :roll:
+ And it's not as if I don't try because I never go anywhere where there are birds and don't even open up the CL ads (I go in every day to flag breeders) unless I see something wrong (like this lady was advertising a Hahn's macaw but the bird was a yellow collared so I email her telling her that). Thankfully, my husband fell in love with him (I think it was the small size that did it) and has not complained one single time about having still another cage in the dining room. Yesterday evening, when I took him out before giving him his dinner, I showed him how he steps up and rides my shoulder (he had been out of state working and only came back yesterday pm) and he was absolutely delighted! But, of course if the owner shows up, he will go back to him/her... and if I can't find his previous owner, I might even rehome both of them after I get him a mate and get them both handtame and eating a good diet.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Next

Return to Parrot Species