Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Wating to know colour rarity

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Wating to know colour rarity

Postby InsanityShard » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:41 pm

I have not been asking what it is, but how rare it is. How rare it is will determine if I will start breeding her later on.
InsanityShard
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:44 am

I don't know but to me it seems that before one can determine how rare a thing is, one must first know what one has. I am sharing what I find with you as I find it, perhaps that is more information than you want and if so, I apologise.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:32 pm

Wolf is correct. When it comes to color mutations, you need to know which one you have in order to determine the rarity of it and how it will work out in breeding (is it a recessive, is it a sex linked, is it a split? etc) because you need to take into consideration whether the parents mutations are important or not as well as the mate. But, going by what you describe, it seems to me that you have a double factor (dominant) pied cinnamon. Not what one would call very rare.... but then, I doubt there is any budgie mutation that is now considered truly rare with the exception of the halfsider which you cannot achieve through breeding. They've been bred so much, for so long and in such huge quantities that, nowadays, you can commonly find what used to be a rare mutation in a petstore for a few dollars.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby InsanityShard » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:40 am

I found out something important today about her. She;s not a true albino, despite her red eyes. Her beak is getting some blue to it around the edges.
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:59 am

I really did not think so from the beginning, the brown markings were the give away. Still the bird contains the ino gene which is the gene that removes the color, however to be a true albino there would be no color except for the possibility of a silvery sheen to the cheek patches. In the color mutation that is referred to as the albino lacewing the bird looks like an albino but has some brown markings and often the males will develop a blue cere.

This is all I have been able to learn at this time. Not really much of anything on rareity as of yet, but given that it is just another color mutation, unless it is a very new color mutation, I would not expect it to be a rare mutation. I will keep looking and let you know if I learn anything more of value to you.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:11 am

People usually think that red eyes automatically means albino but that is not so. There are other mutations that have red eyes - granted that these mutations do have an ino gene. And, of course, the fact that the bird had a brown patch was a dead giveaway that it was not an albino...

But, is it her beak that is turning blue or the cere?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby InsanityShard » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:04 am

The cere, but that was cleared up that it is still possibly some form of albino cross on a forum that only deals with budgies I joined since I decided to only get budgies. From there I also learned I cannot put harnesses on my budgies. >_>
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:02 am

There are a few places that claim to make harnesses small enough for budgies, but I have never seen one that I would try to use on a bird as small as a budgie. Also the weight would make it very difficult for the budgie to fly, I would think.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:18 am

I would think that the greatest danger is the very nature of budgies - they are VERY flighty and putting a leash on them is just plain too risky.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Parrot Species