Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockatiel or Kakariki or Ringneck

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Cockatiel or Kakariki or Ringneck

Postby sahil112 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:52 pm

Hi.

Just joined this forum. Been doing some reading, great place with lots of information!

I am looking to get a parrot but confused between these 3.

I live on a 3rd floor flat. No other flats above me. I have a 5m by 5m living room. The cage I have ordered will be 1.5 m tall and 0.7m across. So pretty big. I have a baby girl who is 16 months old as well. I have slight dust allergies/pollen.

Which 1 would you suggest I get?

I would like one that will come sit on my hand or shoulder sometimes but also fly around a bit. I also don't want a very aggressive one that will tear everything in the house ( as behaved as they can be).

Talking is not a big deal for me, more about seeing some activeness and some cuddling etc. I am hoping my little girl will in like 3-4 years be able to play with the parrot as well.

Noise is an issue for me, so I would like the least noisy. Mess is all fine as i will be regularly cleaning.

I will be at home most time so they will get good attention and flight time outside cage.

Also looking to get 2, so they can also keep each other company, again please least noisy 2 as I live in a flat and would not like to over disturb my neighbors.

Another question is, how young should I get them?

Thanks everyone! :D
sahil112
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None
Flight: Yes

Re: Cockatiel or Kakariki or Ringneck

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:02 am

Cockatiels do produce powder so that would probably be a problem for you but from what you said a Cockatiel would best fit and all Parrots do tear things and can be aggressive at times.Indian Ringnecks are less cuddly but enjoy spending time with their owners and will be ok doing things alone also they can be very noisy same with any Parrot but not as noisy and not all the time.I couldn't tell you anything about Kakarikis because I've never interacted with one.Why not think about a few other species? Conures seem to be good family birds.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Wolf » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:13 am

The forum crashed recently and you posted just after it came back online, so there will still be more responses to your post. I saw your post shortly after you posted it, but did not reply right away as I wanted to think about what I wanted to convey first. I always have to convert metric measures so that they make sense to me and while I am not being exact with this the cage you ordered is almost 5 feet tall and 27 to 28 inches wide. The cages size is not bad for the birds that you have asked about but it does lack the bar spacing which is just as important as the other measurements, since you would not want your bird to get its head caught between the bars. If you can post a link for the cage that you ordered and I am sure that you will receive feedback on it.

I do have some concerns about your plans for whichever bird that you decide upon and the very first one concerns your child. I would not suggest that she be allowed to handle a parrot of any type until she is older than the ages that you are hoping for, It is just too dangerous for the bird until she is a few years older. I do understand that you would be supervising her, but it is hard to tell how tightly they are holding a bird and that might be the primary dangers for the bird. Also if the bird is scared it might bite her. I am sure that others may also provide their opinions in this area.

I am not in the habit of recommending any birds to new owners, but I don't think that a ringneck parrot would be a good choice for you as they require a lot of interaction for them to remain tame enough to handle and they may be louder than what you are looking for. Cockatiels are one of the gentlest of all of the different species of parrots, but I really don't think that it is what you are looking for. I think of the birds that you have suggested that you should look into the kakariki more in depth as it is a gentle bird and appears to me to be one of the quietest and it may be more receptive to more than one human unlike most parrots which tend to bond tightly to just one person. There may also be other parrots that would fit in with your lifestyle.

I do not know where you live so it is hard to say what you should do about getting a bird. Many areas of the world have bird rescues that you can visit and even volunteer at while you learn about different parrots, their life cycles, diets and personalities. Although most of the birds are adults when they go to these rescues, I do not consider this to be a drawback as you never know who a bird is going to choose to bond with or what its actual personality will be until it has gone through puberty and it does not interfere with how well they will bond or in training them. In fact if you allow the bird to make the choice then what you see is pretty much what you will get with a bird from a rescue. Something to consider.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:27 am

Welcome to the forum! I hope we can help you.

Now, the first consideration is your allergies. Have you spent any time at all in the same house with a parrot? Because there are lots of people that are allergic to them, especially cockatiels - so, the first thing I would recommend is that you do just that and see what happens before you actually get one. Second is the fact that you have a baby and, I have to tell you that small children and small parrots usually don't go together because, although it can happen, usually, little parrots will not choose a small child to bond with. Large birds seem to be much more tolerant of children but their beaks are so big and powerful that I would never have, say, a cockatoo, a macaw or even an amazon if I had a small child. And whether the bird actually liked and even loved the child makes no real difference because the thing with parrots is that, sooner or later, ALL the humans in the house will get bit. No two ways about it as this is not a matter of 'if', it's a matter of 'when' and even a small parrot can make a BIG booboo in a small child. This is because parrots don't bite only out of sheer aggression, they will hurt you just trying to hang on to you if you move too fast or, when they love you, as a way of letting you know there is danger. And what we consider danger and what they consider danger are not the same things! To them, all unfamiliar people or animals are dangerous, unexplained noise are dangerous, unfamiliar places are dangerous, etc (parrots are prey animals, not predators like dogs and cats so they react completely differently to the same stimulus). And, if they bond with you, they will bite you as a warning when the other members of the family approach you just to keep you in line so you don't pay attention to them because, as far as they are concerned, they are all a threat to their relationship with you and to be kept away from you (and that will, most definitely, include your baby!). As to the species you mention... well, I would say that cockatiels are out of the question because of their dander; IRNs don't do well with first timers as they require steady, constant and experienced handling or they 'revert'. As to a kakariki... well, they are not loud at all so that would work for you living in a flat. And they are usually sweet-tempered but they are aviary birds and that means they are VERY active, needing a HUGE cage and infrastructure that would prevent their escaping (they are fast, fast, fast and can go through a door barely opened like lightning!). The 'aviary' designation makes them not too good at been human companions because, when they reach sexual maturity, they will become aloof with their owner and will need another bird to be happy and this is nothing that anybody can change with training or impeccable husbandry, it's the way nature made them and hard-wired into their brains. But, if you have the room and the infrastructure for two of them (the cage you mention would not work with these birds, not even with a single one, they need, at least, 1 meter long cages -what we call flight cages), they can have very good lives with humans. But, if I were you, I would not hope for a cuddly companion or one that will interact with your baby, even if you wait 3 or 4 years - it's not going to happen because all the bird will want to do by then is fly around and spend time with its mate (and that's why they are called 'aviary' and not companion birds).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby shiraartain » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:55 am

Ringnecks chew. A lot. I have to regularly chase ours away from chewing on the ceiling. We bought an elaborate $20 toy that I figured would last two weeks. It lasted three days. He chewed through all of the wood.

And now that it's moulting season, I'd say he's easily the dustiest of the three. Definitely not ideal for allergies.

And our case is unique I guess, since we got him directly from a home where he wasn't taken care of properly, but he's a biter. He will fly down and likes to play ball, but he will bite into our clothing and leave holes, and if we say step up and he's not in the mood, he will bite our fingers- not enough to draw blood, but enough that it's painful for us. With a child, I can see a screams and tears and possibly injuries.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:50 am

shiraartain wrote:Ringnecks chew. A lot. I have to regularly chase ours away from chewing on the ceiling. We bought an elaborate $20 toy that I figured would last two weeks. It lasted three days. He chewed through all of the wood.

And now that it's moulting season, I'd say he's easily the dustiest of the three. Definitely not ideal for allergies.

And our case is unique I guess, since we got him directly from a home where he wasn't taken care of properly, but he's a biter. He will fly down and likes to play ball, but he will bite into our clothing and leave holes, and if we say step up and he's not in the mood, he will bite our fingers- not enough to draw blood, but enough that it's painful for us. With a child, I can see a screams and tears and possibly injuries.

Indian Ringnecks are not a dusty species as say a Cockatiel, Ringnecks are new world parrots and Cockatiels are old world parrots.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby michaelflynn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:23 am

Thank you for the information....
michaelflynn
Parakeet