Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird help

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Bird help

Postby Splatoon » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:59 pm

Hello, not sure if I should post this here however-

I'm currently looking for what bird is right for me. I'm with my family and will be going back to school soon. My mum and dad work whilst me and my siblings are at school. I'll be able to offer around 1-3 hours of attention to this bird, and don't mind going to a bit more time.
I'd really like companion to spend time with. A talking bird is not needed, but would be a nice thing to have. I'd be able to offer it a decent cage in either the living room or my bedroom. We have two dogs, however they will not be allowed in the room where the bird's cage is unsupervised, however we might make an aviary.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to consider. I'm currently considering Hahns & Noble macaws, Cockatiels, Budgies, Conures, Amazons and lovebirds, is there some other birds I should consider? :)

Any advice appreciated. :)

:amazon: :sun: :greycockatiel:
Splatoon
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Bird help

Postby liz » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:46 am

I only have hands on experience with Amazons and Cockatiels. To me a Cockatiel is the perfect little parrot. They are good natured with big personalities in their little bodies. The males can learn to talk and their singing is joy.

Read some of the posts put in by Cockatiel humans. They love them and interact with them just like a big parrot.

If you find in the future that you only have a few hours a day to be with him you can add another Cockatiel for company and the first will teach the second what he knows.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:22 am

If the bird is going to be alone all day long, I would recommend you get two cockatiels. Parrots are all highly social birds and, to them, having company is not just a nice thing to have, it's a physiological need so keeping a single parrot by itself is not the kindest thing you can do to any of them. Mini macaws and conures can scream their heads off if left alone all day long, an amazon might not scream but it might turn to biting after a while so, to me, the best for you would be a pair of handfed cockatiels. They are beautiful birds, perfect size, relatively easy to feed, they have the sweetest temper of all parrots and, if they have one another, they will be happy in a flight cage waiting for you to come home from school.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:07 am

I have found that when rescuing a mated pair that the male will put himself between me and his mate. He is trying to protect her but will be in the position to bond to me at this time. He then teaches his mate not to be afraid by example.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Parrot Species