Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

roxy

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

roxy

Postby amanda423 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:50 pm

Today i lost my baby girl roxy she was not even two years old i am heartbroken she was a cinamon cheek conure a little bird with a big personality .she made such an impact on my life and will miss her terribly she died today at three pm we took her the vets because she was not her self at twelve and he gave her antibiotics and at three she died in my arms :gcc: god bless roxy x
amanda423
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: roxy

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:10 pm

This is your first post on this forum and while I am deeply saddened over the circumstances I would still like to welcome you to the forum.

Some people can understand the loss that you feel over a cat or dog or some other animals, but many people can't understand this when the departed animal is bird. This is because they have never experienced the bond that develops between the person and the bird. This is their loss. I can only hope that you can focus more on the good times that you have had with your bird more than the feelings of loss until sometime you can look back and smile in joy for the time that you were able to share with your bird.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby amanda423 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:56 am

Thank you so much your words really hit home and yes no one understands the relationship and find a lot of people saying its only a bird
amanda423
Parakeet

Postby liz » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:36 am

Welcome to the forum.

Don't let anyone tell you "it is just a bird". Humans without birds or humans that don't understand their birds do not realize that they are little beings and fill a space in our lives just as a 2 to 5 year old child. These people think that a parrot just mimics what words they say. They might copy a word at first but then learn what it means to add it to their vocabulary. A creature who uses your words to talk to you is not "just a bird". It is your baby and very hard to deal with the death of your baby.

He no longer feels pain or fear. Instead you feel it for your loss. You have an empty space now. Mourn your lost baby then move on. Memories of him will stay with you forever.

I know this is the last thing you want to hear but don't waste the love you had for him. You will never love another critter the same way but your next one will be like a baby after loosing a baby. It will never fill the space that is left empty by your baby leaving you but will find it's own space.

I suggest that when you finish your mourning that you search for a bird that needs you from the existing parrots that are in distress and needs your help. There are many.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:24 am

So very sorry for your loss, my dear! And yes, the 'it was only a bird!' is something we have all heard but, although it can be terribly galling to us, bird lovers, I don't think people say it out of meanness, they say it because they don't know birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby amanda423 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:57 am

Today we laid roxy to rest amongst sunflowers and jasmine .the house is so empty without her its strange not to be greeted by her saying hello roxy when i walk into a room or have her cuddling up to my neck when im watching tv , or me having to be quiet in the kitchen because she didnt like the sound of the dishwasher , i dont think i could have another im afraid that somehow it was something i did that caused her to become ill even though my husband says diffrent and that she wanted for nothing still as she wasnt even eighteen months old something happened
amanda423
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:24 am

I really do not want to be the " bad guy" in this, but a dose f reality might help you more than just condolences, I hope so, as that is my intent.

Whenever we have a bird, such as yours that dies at far too young of an age, there is always the possibility that we may be at least partly at fault. Although in many cases the only thing that we may have done wrong was to not have noticed the bird being "off" soon enough and even if that is the situation, it could not always be due to our not having been observant enough as birds are known to hide any signs of illness until they can no longer do so. And this hiding of their illness has been the sole cause of many bird deaths that could have been prevented. That is not your fault.

To carry this just a bit further, it is more likely that this may have been a genetic issue and has nothing at all to do with the care you gave your bird. One of the things that may people don't know is that breeders generally do not breed their birds based on normal biological principles of strength, and health, things that are in the birds best interests, they breed them only for their color and more often then not do not keep their best birds for breeding stock. Breeders normally sell the best of their stock and this leaves only the weaker or " defective" birds for their breeding stock. This common practice has lead to many birds having been produced and sold to unsuspecting people who wanted a bird in their lives. People like you and me. Then as the bird grows the genetic abnormality shows itself through disease or organ failure and the bird often dies very shortly after the first symptoms, This is the most probable cause for the passing of your bird, and not anything that you have done or that you could have prevented. Without a necropsy, there is no way to know this for certain, but it is far more common than most people are aware of and accounts for a substantial amount of premature death in parrots.

I am so sorry for the passing of your friend and companion, and words can't begin to express how I feel or how you feel either. But I do not believe that you could have prevented this.
When this type of thing happens one of the very first things that we do is begin to question if we were the cause of the passing of our friend. Could we have prevented this if we had done something differently, we very often feel guilty for not having been able to prevent their passing, and this is very often made worse because we can't find anything that we could have done about it to change it. These guilt feeling are normal, but please don't latch on to them. Yes, look realistically at what we have done so that we can improve, but don't hold onto these guilt feeling they do you no good and prevent you from seeing the joys that you shared and the time that you had to share together.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:33 am

Wolf is right, don't dwell on it. It won't do any good... I know I feel guilty for everything that happens to my animals - even when it's something that nobody could have done anything about and even when what I am doing is the right thing to do (like euthanasia for an old, sick dog who is not going to get better and is in pain). It's too late now but, for me, what works best in cases when a seemingly normal and healthy bird drops dead is to have a necropsy done. I ask the vet to start with a visual and, if there are any doubts, then do tissue samples but, usually, the visual is more than enough...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby amanda423 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:34 pm

Thank you wolf we to wondered about the breeder she was a very small bird for her age and was kept in a kitchen with lots of other bird and the breeder for some strange reason kept putting there heads in his mouth but roxy chose us by flying on my husbands shoulder and we couldnt leave her there wish i had found this site before she passed you all have been a great hep
amanda423
Parakeet

Postby Perroquet » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:49 am

I am so very sorry for Roxy and you.
Perroquet
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Conures and Senegal