Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Quaker's status change in Maine

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Quaker's status change in Maine

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:29 am

I looked in the Maine site but could not find anything there so I don't know if this is true or not but I read that they are going from 'special permits' for quakers to illegal. This is what I found:
A permit is required to keep Quaker parrots in Maine, and now they are reportedly going on the state's list of prohibited species. The rap against Quakers is that they are very adaptable as invasives and a potential agricultural nuisance. While feral Quakers are common along the Connecticut and Rhode Island sea shores, there are few reports of them in Massachusetts. New Hampshire overturned a ban a few years back and there are no apparent issues with ferals.. This suggests that there may be an upper limit to the tolerance of harsh winters by the South American natives.
Unquote
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species