Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal compatibility with other parrots?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Senegal compatibility with other parrots?

Postby AlexanderV » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:56 am

So the last time I went to my avian vet, she told me that I should consider getting a companion bird for my senegal parrot. Seeing as I know sennies are notoriously agressive towards newcomers, I'd like to ask someone with more experience than I.

I am prepared to house them seperately, and Kepler isn't exactly in desperate need of company (that is to say, neither my family nor her are in a rush about getting another bird)..
Also, I'm definitively not getting another bird until we fall into a good routine when it comes to diet and she is a bit more desensitised to new objects and people.

Back while I was researching what parrot I should get/how to take care of parrots other strong candidates were cockatiels, GCCs, mustache (and derbyan) parakeets, budgies and IRNs, which I'm mentioning because those are the species I have the most knowledge of currently as opposed to researching from scratch.

All I know about Kepler's behaviour with other birds is that she used to chase after the young african greys when she was at the breeder's place, and that when she looks at 'the other bird' in mirrors, she does that thing when they stick their toungs out on one side of their beak? She's still young (almost 7 months) though, so I'd guess introducing another bird while she's still a juvenile would leave a better chance of them getting along!

Thoughts?
AlexanderV
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Senegal compatibility with other parrots?

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:22 am

Well, keeping a pair is always best for parrots and getting the opposite gender of the same species is what works best but you also have to take into consideration age because an adult bird will, usually, want nothing to do with a baby or a juvenile so, if you are going to wait until she is an adult (she will become sexually mature at around 2 years of age and sexually active at around 4), you will have to get an adult male.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Michael » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:26 am

Be careful. A Senegal will try to kill any bird of similar or smaller size the first chance it gets. It's rare that they even get along with other Senegals. If your Senegal isn't lonely, best not to add another bird. Senegal will be no happier for it and will only despise the other bird.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:36 am

Well, I have a male and female and, although the female needs a bit of supervision when introduced to new birds, she does fine with them after she gets used to them (she is now perching on my side with four other birds perching about ten inches from her, all loose) and the male has never once bothered another bird PLUS the other two females I had never had a single issue with another bird so I don't think that ALL senegals are like that, Michael.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Michael » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:51 am

Pajarita wrote: so I don't think that ALL senegals are like that, Michael.
I know that not ALL are like that but honestly most are. Not just judging by mine. So many other people have issues. Look back through the archives on this forum. Two birds had to be rehomed specifically due to Senegal bullying. One was a Jardines that got ripped a new one by a Senegal (literally in the tongue). Another was a Senegal that killed two conures. Can't make this stuff up.

I also am highly involved with gingers parrots Senegal parrot rescue. Out of like twenty Senegals, only two get along with each other. The rest try to fight every chance they get and the fights can be brutal. Her biggest challenge during out of cage time is keeping them from attacking each other.

It's not my place to mention other stories I was told privately but the general gist is the same. It's not "all Senegals" but it's definitely something in their nature.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:16 am

Hmmm, they are jealous little things, no doubt about that! But I think that most people simply don't know how to get birds to get along with each other, give up too soon or have birds that get real jealous of others because they simply don't get enough of what they need - could be flight time, could be personal attention, etc. And, of course, there is the sexual hormones issue for all the people that keep birds on a human light schedule... My Zoey has to have 'special' treatment or she gets very jealous... nothing major, just taking her out during the time I feed them all dinner while the others stay in their cages or having a short 'love session' after the others went back in after their out-of-cage time, saying good night to her last - that kind of thing. I would imagine that, in a rescue, none of the birds gets to have its own human or any special treatment to make them feel good so I can see why this lady would have trouble...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Robert1951 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:49 pm

I read your comments on Senegals and other birds.I'm thinking of getting a Sengal and my question is; my wife has 4 Parakeets that always stay in their cages, will the Senegal tried to get at them even though they are in their cage?

Thank you
Robert1951
Robert1951
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:22 pm

Robert1951 wrote:I read your comments on Senegals and other birds.I'm thinking of getting a Sengal and my question is; my wife has 4 Parakeets that always stay in their cages, will the Senegal tried to get at them even though they are in their cage?

Thank you
Robert1951

If the Senegal is out in the same room as the budgie cage, yes it may land on the cage and bite them through the bars. If the room is separate, then I think it will be ok.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Robert1951 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:04 pm

Thank you, for your answer. They would be in the same room so that could be a problem not worth getting into. Would a Quaker get along with the Parakeets better?

Thank you,
Robert1951
Robert1951
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets
Flight: No

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:27 pm

Michael wrote:
Pajarita wrote: so I don't think that ALL senegals are like that, Michael.
I know that not ALL are like that but honestly most are. Not just judging by mine. So many other people have issues. Look back through the archives on this forum. Two birds had to be rehomed specifically due to Senegal bullying. One was a Jardines that got ripped a new one by a Senegal (literally in the tongue). Another was a Senegal that killed two conures. Can't make this stuff up.

I also am highly involved with gingers parrots Senegal parrot rescue. Out of like twenty Senegals, only two get along with each other. The rest try to fight every chance they get and the fights can be brutal. Her biggest challenge during out of cage time is keeping them from attacking each other.

It's not my place to mention other stories I was told privately but the general gist is the same. It's not "all Senegals" but it's definitely something in their nature.

In my experience id say the same for Conures and Lovebirds they can be aggressive but there are some that are friendly with others.I know a Senegal who's best friend is a Plum headed parakeet.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Next

Return to Parrot Species