Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

African Grey and Cockatiel

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

African Grey and Cockatiel

Postby DawnClarke » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:13 pm

Hi, I am new here and looking for some advice. I have a cockatiel who is about 6 years old that I recently inherited from a client, he is very skittish and terrified of hands.. we have made loads of progress with him, and now he flies to us when he wants to be around us.. We have had him about 3 months.. A month ago I got my baby Congo African Grey. The cockatiel appeared to want go on the attack but we stopped him.. well I didn't want him hurting the baby. Now Harley is bigger and fully feathered and roaming around, Harley appears to want to attack the cockatiel. Is there anyway I can assist them to get along? The cockatiel is beyond interested in the African Grey, but is deffinately jealous. They both get a lot of attention.. and loads of love.. will they fight? I don't want either hurt. The cockatiel is flighted but the African Grey is not. They have separate cages and separate stands. I do not leave them unattended unless both are closed in their cages.
DawnClarke
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Congo African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: African Grey and Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:17 pm

I would not ever count on these two birds becoming friends. Greys are not very social with other birds and cockatiels can not defend themselves from a Grey. Perhaps they can while the Grey is a baby and has not fledged but after that I would not let them out together unless you are there to supervise their time out and to keep them apart.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:20 am

Im lucky my African grey gets along with my Cockatiels and Plum headed parakeet but she can be scared of them sometimes if they fly near her.When my Aunts conures come to visit she chases them off the cage because the Female conure always chases Mango off the cage.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby liz » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:44 pm

Cockatiels really have no way to hold their own in a fight. It would be a massacre.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:33 pm

Cockatiels love to be in flock but I doubt that the tiel was trying to attack the baby gray... I am not saying it's not possible but I've never seen or heard of a cockatiel actually attacking another bird so I am thinking that he could have been just curious.

I recommend you don't clip the gray, it's so very unhealthy for them...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:11 pm

Pajarita wrote:Cockatiels love to be in flock but I doubt that the tiel was trying to attack the baby gray... I am not saying it's not possible but I've never seen or heard of a cockatiel actually attacking another bird so I am thinking that he could have been just curious.

I recommend you don't clip the gray, it's so very unhealthy for them...

Yesterday Mango was happily chirping and while doing this he sometimes chases Rocko and Loki off the cage and yesterday he tried this and Rocko stood up to him and chased Mango off the cage.Its good he stood up for himself though lol.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby liz » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:38 pm

Made you giggle.

I tell them good bird to encourage something in the future.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Parrot Species