Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Feral Quakers in Spain

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Feral Quakers in Spain

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:42 am

These are two articles about the same thing: the proliferation of feral quakers in Spanish cities. What is disturbing about it is that, apparently, the Spanish are way behind in their way of thinking when it comes to these parrots because the theory that they compete (and win) with other species for food has been debunked a long time ago - as well as the fact that they are now actually shooting them!

http://saudigazette.com.sa/life/pets-pe ... de-madrid/

http://omanobserver.om/pets-pests-quake ... sh-cities/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Feral Quakers in Spain

Postby Rmoses » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:15 pm

Sorry Pajarita, I didn't see this before I posted basically the same in another thread. Thanks for your reply on my post. I'll do a better job of research and posting next time.
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby liz » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:03 am

I can understand if it was snakes or monitor lizards. Flocks of parrots are just doing what they do and are part of the changing of wild life in the area. The flock will not grow beyond what the area has to offer in food.

There is a flock of finches on an island with no food for them. They must have been blown there. They have become vampires by living on the blood of sea birds. Over the years they all learned to from the generation before them that the sea birds provided food. The sea birds did not seem to mind the finches and would stand still while the finches took blood from right above the tail feathers.

Other than large predaters the ferals should be left alone or fed as you would with wild birds.

My memory is not the greatest and I can't remember where it was that a flock of Macaws would visit a neighborhood just before sun down. The humans knew they were coming at that time of day and either left them food or was there to hand feed them. After a day of foraging for food they would go to the neighborhood for a little extra before going to roost.

They should just be left alone.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:46 am

I agree 100%! But people being people, they will rather react than do any real research so they chose to kill them instead of trying to understand them... So sad :cry:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Species