Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Quaker Gender

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Quaker Gender

Postby lee ireland » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:07 am

Hi,

Im currently looking for a pair of quakers, male and a female to enter my newly built aviary.

Iv found a place to buy from but they don't offer dna sex on the quakers, i was told this is because they can determine the sex from an eye examination, iv never heard of this so im wondering if this is rubbish, a way of doing so but not as effective as dna or is this an old understanding of how to determine the sex that is outdated.

lee ireland
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: parent raised green cheek conure
Flight: No

Re: Quaker Gender

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:39 pm

I never heard of that, I think Kinsealy pet shop do DNA tests if your close by
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:43 pm

As far as I am aware of, there is no way to visually determine the sex of a Quaker parrot. You can order DNA sex testing kits online, follow its instructions and send it in to the lab. You should get the results back pretty quickly.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:56 pm

I think it's rubbish. But, having said that, my grandmother used to say that the babies with the smaller heads were female. She always told me to choose females through this method when we bought the babies but they were not kept as pets, they were raised to be released back into the wild so I don't really know if this is true although the one bird that stayed for years was, indeed, a female. I can, sometimes, guess the gender of sexually mature adults quakers but I am sure that the fact that I have been right in the past has been more luck than anything else...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Species