Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Does anyone own a White-capped Pionus?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Does anyone own a White-capped Pionus?

Postby NJBirdMan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:13 pm

I have been offered to Adopt a White-capped Pionus from a Bird Rescue group here in New Jersey.
I don't really know anything about Pionus, and would like to see if there are any Pionus owners
here on the forum that could help me out. Any information you can provide would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Patrick
NJBirdMan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, 1 Female Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Does anyone own a White-capped Pionus?

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:08 pm

I had two pionus when I had the rescue but neither were whitecaps (one was a Maxi and the other a bronze-wing). Both were great birds, though... calm, quiet, got along great with the other birds, good eaters, etc.

There is a male redbelly (an African poicephalus species, same as Senegals are) for adoption at A Helping Wing and a Meyers at Lonely Gray, both NJ rescues. I don't know the Lonely Gray people but I do know Jeanne and John of A Helping Wing and they are very good people!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby NJBirdMan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:05 pm

For the Pionus, I was asked to complete an Adoption Application. I found this Application to be very very extensive. I completed the online Application this morning and submitted it to the Adoption Coordinator. I have not received a reply as yet to the Application or to my Emails to her regarding the Application. I think I am going to stick with my original plan and purchase the Senegal Parrot in the Spring 2017. So far I am not impressed in dealing with Rescue Organizations.
Patrick
NJBirdMan
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:34 pm

Give them a chance. Rescues are operated by volunteers who usually have animals and families of their own so they can only dedicate a certain number of hours to these tasks. Why don't you just go to the rescue in person? It usually works better than emailing and, besides, you need to see the bird first.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby NJBirdMan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:52 pm

There is no physical location for this Rescue - the birds are all Fostered in individuals homes. I did complete the Application, and am waiting to hear back from the Adoption Coordinator. One of the requirements for Adoption is (3) visits with the bird you intend to adopt. I believe the Coordinator is still waiting for the Pionus to arrive. So I'm sure I will hear back from her after she has reviewed
my Adoption Application.
Patrick
NJBirdMan
Lovebird

Postby NJBirdMan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:25 am

The possibility of owning the Pionus from the Rescue Organizaton is off the table.
After receiving the list of requirements in the Process for Adoption, I decided to cancel my Application and have decided I will stick with purchasing the Senegal Parrot in the Spring/Summer 2017.
Patrick
NJBirdMan
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:11 pm

Were the requirements that difficult to fulfill? I am not trying to argue with you, I am just curious... Have you checked with A Helping Wing?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby NJBirdMan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:29 pm

The requirements were typical of what "Rescues" all require, which has always prevented me from Adopting. I would have Adopted 2 Dogs, but the paperwork, home inspection, plus they wanted a video sent to them of the home and property. Same is happening with this Bird Rescue - they want a video sent to them of my home, and the area of the home that will house the bird cage, they want a Telephone interview, to ask questions that were not amongst the 50 questions they had on the initial Adoption Application. And mind you, they don't even have the Pionus in their possession yet. I have a problem with this entire process. I would love to own this Pionus, but if this process is going to drag on for Months, I would rather just purchase a Bird outright.
Patrick
NJBirdMan
Lovebird

Postby Rmoses » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Patrick, it's called control. Some services will do anything to help you get what you need and others will do everything to keep you from getting what you need. I have been reading a lot over the last few years about the parrot world. It seems that with some rescues, and some parrot organizations that they have their birds and don't want you to have one. I find this in some rescues and some of the organizations that are in one country and push for laws against owning parrots in countries where the parrot come from. So much for the adopt a parrot instead of getting one from a breeder. I hope you get the bird you want and deserve. I am sure you will make a good home for your bird. Maybe someone would like to address this issue in the appropriate section. Good luck,
Rick
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:27 pm

I am sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but the idea that a rescue actively works against potential adopters because they don't want to adopt out the animals they have rescued is more a conspiracy theory than reality.

The sad truth is that lots of people go to rescues looking for the 'bargain' and not because they love animals, so rescues (which are all ran by animal lovers, I might add) need to make sure the adopter is willing and able to provide adequately for the pet and, as people lie through their teeth, they need to verify the details on the application personally. When it comes to parrots, things are even worse because the greatest majority of people have no real idea of what it takes to care properly for one (people are usually under the misconception that birds are 'low maintenance' pets -get a cage, feed and water them and you are done). And, to put the icing on the cage, captivity conditions are so unnatural and so harmful to parrots that even people who might love them and would try to do their very best by them would not be able to provide the minimum level of care for the bird to be healthy (and I am not even going to go into 'happy'!).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Parrot Species