Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Can a Blue front amazon and a female eclectus reproduce?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Can a Blue front amazon and a female eclectus reproduce?

Postby dana13 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:15 am

I have been breeding parrots for many years, this year I acquired a male amazon and a female eclectus fledglings. 4 month old as of right now. living in a big cage together since there was 1 month old. they always been best friends and played together nicley. this week I noticed an early behavior of intimacy, ( cleaning each other, kissing, hanging out together all the time etc.) I want to know are they just friends or is there a possibility for them to becoming a couple and mate? I am worried for the possibility for them to become a "too much of a different species" couple. I started to research this matter and I found out that in some instances amazons and eclectuses were mating and the eggs were not fertile. or a fledgling died before/after hatching. Can someone educate me a bit further on this issue? Is it possible? what are the biological chances for this to happen? what are the genetics and the statistics? should I separate them? or is it fine for them to stay together? thanx.
dana13
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: blue forehead Amazon .Eclectus . Senegal .
Flight: Yes

Re: Can a Blue front amazon and a female eclectus reproduce?

Postby dana13 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:25 am

dana13
Parakeet

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:13 am

A 4 month old can not have babies anyway
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:14 am

Unless they try to mate theres no reason to keep them separate
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby dana13 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:26 am

It is clear to me that at four months they can't reproduce. They are young. I'm looking for information for the future and knowing how to behave and what are the chances of that happening
dana13
Parakeet

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:36 am

dana13 wrote:It is clear to me that at four months they can't reproduce. They are young. I'm looking for information for the future and knowing how to behave and what are the chances of that happening

Just separate them in the future if they ever "Try" to mate and you wont have any problems but as far as I know Eclectus parrots are not in the same family as Amazons.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:46 am

They can become mate-bonded but ekkies and amazons have completely different breeding behaviors (amazons been monogamous while female eclectus have sex with several male birds - amazons having a breeding season of a normal length while eclectus have the longest of all the parrot species, amazon hens coming out to eat and drink every day while ekkies don't, etc. etc.) so I doubt that it will work in the long run. But they could nest and the female could lay (eclectus females are prone to becoming chronic layers even when all alone) only the eggs will never be fertile because the nearest common ancestor lived 59 million years ago.

On a side note, I noticed that your eclectus has discolored yellow feathers all over and, usually, that is a sign of too much protein and/or lack of betacarotene so, please, re-evaluate her diet because ekkies are the most difficult parrot there is to keep healthy as their diet is almost impossible to get right (and that's why they all die before they get to be 30).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby dana13 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:01 pm

Thank you for your comment.
I am well aware of the problem regarding yellow feathers and eclectus parrots. I was worried at first too.
My eclectus was born this way. I got her checked, and apparently her yellow feathers are so because of a gene mutation. Also, her mother is the same as her, and her father is mutantly blue.

Thank you for this information. I will see whether such behavior will continue into their adulthood.
dana13
Parakeet

Return to Parrot Species