Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal parrot

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Senegal parrot

Postby Sarif » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:50 pm

IMG_8353.JPG
IMG_8353.JPG (32.46 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
Hello. I'm Sarif, from Bangladesh.
I want to know about the parrot, it's name, genetical name, and which parrot family it is belongs to. It would be very nice if I get some details about this parrot. Because I've a some confusion about Caique and Senegal parrot. please let me know is it caique or belongs to Senegal family. Your reply means a lot to me!
Thanks!
Sarif
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 13
Types of Birds Owned: conure, rump,
Flight: Yes

Re: Senegal parrot

Postby dragonlady2 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:29 pm

You have a red-bellied parrot and it looks like a male. It is in the same family as a Senegal. I'll see what I can find out about them.
dragonlady2
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, conures, senegal, australian king, plum head, eclectus,Barrabands, parrotlets, canaries

Re: Senegal parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:42 am

Yes, it's a male Red Bellied Parrot and he is, at least, 2 years old but, going by his mask, I would assume older. The scientific name is Poicephalus rufiventris. The Poicephalus been the genus which they share with the senegals (Poicephalus senegalus) and the rufiventris been the actual species. Poicephalus means 'made of head' and they are called that because they all have a large head in comparison to the body, rufiventris is a combination of two Latin words: rufus = red and venter = belly
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Species