Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Toos envision the object they need to make!

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Toos envision the object they need to make!

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:45 am

This is an article on a study conducted on Goffin's tool making by giving them different materials to work with and a problem to solve (how to get to the food). Scientists found that they adapted their toll making technique to suit the material they had been given (with the only material they couldn't manage been beeswax which, as we all know, it's way too soft for those powerful beaks) and that they made the tools of almost the exact length they need it. How cool is that?!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 210016.htm
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Toos envision the object they need to make!

Postby Bird woman » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:50 pm

I'll tell you , my little alyha's the first experience I've had with a goffin , and has in fact been quite a learning experience for me! My vet has always cautioned me against taking this particular species into my flock ,but now that she's here I wouldn't trade her for the world. Smart as a whip , can solve any parrot foraging toys that are on the market , can pick any lock and communicate in ways that leave me amazed. She is full of energy and keeps the rest of the flock on there toes, always springing around , steeling there stuff , waylaying for me , hiding under everything and then bumrushing me. She is equally as cuddly , rolling up in a soft blanket and lays on her back while watching TV and sucking on a toe. The only downfall to this particular too is they bond to one person and go completely out of there way to keep everyone away. Although she is small everyone clears out including my husband when she's out and I'm in the room. When I'm not around she's just as sweet as pie to everyone. :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Rmoses » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:45 pm

Bird woman wrote:I'll tell you , my little alyha's the first experience I've had with a goffin , and has in fact been quite a learning experience for me! My vet has always cautioned me against taking this particular species into my flock ,but now that she's here I wouldn't trade her for the world. Smart as a whip , can solve any parrot foraging toys that are on the market , can pick any lock and communicate in ways that leave me amazed. She is full of energy and keeps the rest of the flock on there toes, always springing around , steeling there stuff , waylaying for me , hiding under everything and then bumrushing me. She is equally as cuddly , rolling up in a soft blanket and lays on her back while watching TV and sucking on a toe. The only downfall to this particular too is they bond to one person and go completely out of there way to keep everyone away. Although she is small everyone clears out including my husband when she's out and I'm in the room. When I'm not around she's just as sweet as pie to everyone. :lol: BW

Uhh, Bird woman, exactly whose toe does she suck? :o :lol:
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby Bird woman » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:59 pm

Glad to see somebody has a dry since of humor like mine! :lol: I'll take some pics and see if wolf can post them for me and you'll see what a sweetheart she is and be :mrgreen: with envy. One of these days I'll learn to use this hi-dollar I-pad and then you-all are in for it , my bragging on my baby's , movies and everything. I'd love to share all there cute and not so cute stuff . I might even be able to get a little sympathy from everyone :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:48 pm

:lol: You already have my sympathy with all the large species birds you have! I only have a few and I end up needing to spend more time with them than I do with my own family!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:01 pm

I don't know who's big bright idea it was anyway to make everything revolve around 24 hours , light and dark :roll: I could really use about 48 hour days and there would be enough time for all the fids. Wonder if anyone is on here with parrots from Alaska with the funkey daylight all the time and then the dusk for long periods of time? That would be very interesting to learn how they adjust to that kind of schedule . Thanks for the sympathy pajarita, I needed it today ! BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:45 pm

I seem to remember one member, a long time ago, from Northern Canada. But we've had people from Sweden and Norway, which have the same problem. We always tell them to make a schedule that would resemble the temperate climate one by using fake twilight periods and black out material.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bird woman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:25 pm

I guess that's what they would have to so in some of those big wearhouse rescues . ;)
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:28 am

I don't know of a single rescue that keeps their birds at a solar schedule. They either follow a human light schedule or the old 12L/12D.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bird woman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:04 pm

Really! :shock: You would think they would at least try to duplicate there natural lighting as best as possible. I'm sure funding plays a big part in it. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Next

Return to Parrot Species