Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Aroma from a BFA nasal apertures

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Aroma from a BFA nasal apertures

Postby Wolf » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:48 am

I have not taken the time to do any research into this odor, but I do catch a whiff of it now and then with Mimi, our amazon. I have been a hunter all of my life as well as having spent most of my life working with various animals in different capacities and all animals have their own odors. Much of the time the odor is caused or altered by the animals diet, and of course there is the fact that different species of animals share a specific scent that identifies them to other animals that are able to pick up on the scent. Some odors are only emitted at certain times such as those used to attract a mate or those used in self defense. As far as I am aware of there has never been a reason suggested for the smell of the amazon parrot, but since nature does not tend to waste energy without having a survival purpose could this odor be related to camaflage in some way and therefore be used to mask the regular scent of this bird from certain predators?

Just a thought, something to consider.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby alienlady » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:52 am

Wolf wrote:I have not taken the time to do any research into this odor, but I do catch a whiff of it now and then with Mimi, our amazon. I have been a hunter all of my life as well as having spent most of my life working with various animals in different capacities and all animals have their own odors. Much of the time the odor is caused or altered by the animals diet, and of course there is the fact that different species of animals share a specific scent that identifies them to other animals that are able to pick up on the scent. Some odors are only emitted at certain times such as those used to attract a mate or those used in self defense. As far as I am aware of there has never been a reason suggested for the smell of the amazon parrot, but since nature does not tend to waste energy without having a survival purpose could this odor be related to camaflage in some way and therefore be used to mask the regular scent of this bird from certain predators?

Just a thought, something to consider.

Thankyou very much for that Wolf, that hadn't occurred to me at all, which is very remiss of me. It is an extremely good valid theory.I appreciate your input, thankyou.
With Liseth the aroma is constant not an occasional burst per se. I am interested in discovering if this is the same with other owners BFA's.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Rmoses » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:30 pm

http://www.plannedparrothood.com/sniff.html this is a web site of a group doing research on the smell of parrots. I don't know how scientific it is but the comments are really interesting. The comments tell more about the husbandry of the birds than the actual smell. The diets some birds get are amazing.
Rick
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby Rmoses » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:45 pm

BTW. Pajarita and Bird woman please do not read the comments in the above link, at your ages, I'm not sure your hearts can not handle it. :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :hatched:
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:01 pm

Too late, I already read most of the comments and yes, some of the diets are 'amazing' as in 'I am amazed that people are still feeding their parrots such crappy diets!' :shock:

But, as to their smell... all parrots have the same type of smell (the same way that all dogs have a similar smell -not identical, mind you, I can tell which dog I have on my lap with my eyes closed because I can identify their different smells). Only it seems to be more pronounced in amazons and the consensus seems to be that the difference between a nice and a bad smell is dietary. I doubt it's meant to 'mask' them from predators because they all have it - also, as far as I can tell, it's not seasonal but constant. The only difference between amazons and other species of parrots is that they don't have a uropygial gland (neither do the 'purple' macaws) so could it be the lack of preening oil that makes them smell stronger? I don't know... and I've never had purple macaws so I don't know if they have a stronger smell, too (which would kind of prove the lack of preening gland theory).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:26 pm

Purple Macaws? Have to search that now lol
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:35 pm

They are all the macaws that are blue or purple: hyacinths, Spinx, Lear's and Glaucous - they are also known as the 'blue' or the 'indigo' macaws.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:48 pm

I read the link {some of those diets especially the one who's birds breath smelled like mold :shock: look at what they feed the poor bird. My birds all smell sweet , some such as the macaws and greys have a musk smell when bathed . The only time I ever notice a different smell on my birds is when I cook up a smart ass man and feed it to them for dinner. But luckey for Rmoses they have already had there monthly feeding ( you can thank my husband for that Rick) :lol: how's that beach ( see yea next month :twisted: with all the fids) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: {Brandon }I think the purple macaw is the hyacinth macaw.
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby alienlady » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Rmoses wrote:http://www.plannedparrothood.com/sniff.html this is a web site of a group doing research on the smell of parrots. I don't know how scientific it is but the comments are really interesting. The comments tell more about the husbandry of the birds than the actual smell. The diets some birds get are amazing.
Rick

Thanks for that , I think :lol: Sheesh! I feel quite ill after reading it :o Ferrets and mould !! Nightmares for me tonight.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby alienlady » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:38 am

I have finally realised what it is the aroma reminds me of. Parma violets! A sweet (candy) I ate during childhood :D
alienlady
Poicephalus

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species