Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Grey verus Grey

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Grey verus Grey

Postby Tman007 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:26 pm

Has there been a study do on grey plucking?
I mean between the two subspeices the congo and timeh
I was just wondering if one is likely to pluck then the other.
And also if they looked at if the ones that talk more, are more likely to pluck.
You figure that the more they talk the more they are.using their brain.
Just thinking while I am having my morning Tea. :gray: :idea:
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Grey verus Grey

Postby Navre » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:34 am

It's anecdotal, but I've seen far more Congo pluckers than Timneh pluckers. The timneh seem a little more layed back, but they still hold a grudge as well as any Congo.

I have never seen any correlation between talking and plucking in any species. My Timneh is one of the best talkers I have ever seen. He has cognitive speech, at times, and he will sometimes repeat something after hearing it once. He doesn't pluck at all. He is, however, a very skittish bird. He is probably wild caught, which may contribute to a lot of things. Parent fed in the wild as a chick will usually make for a healthier, hardier bird. No inbreeding, either. And depending on how old he was when he was captured, he may have learned proper preening and grooming from his flock. So many of our birds are generations removed from the wild. They never had anyone to lear these things from.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:14 pm

I agree, anecdotally speaking, Congos pluck more than Timnehs but I don't think that more talking means less plucking.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:32 pm

The best way to get a nonplucker, of any species, is to adopt an a mature adult who doesn't pluck. It's still no gaurantee, but it's the best way to go if plucking is a concern.
Last edited by Navre on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:26 am

Yep, I agree - but then, I think that adopting an adult is ALWAYS better for the owner than getting a baby!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Species