Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is it a boy or a girl?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Is it a boy or a girl?

Postby Rmoses » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:17 pm

20161101_090105 (368x653).jpg

I think Roberto is a boy, white fronted amazon. What do the experts think?
Rick :pirate:
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: Is it a boy or a girl?

Postby alienlady » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:42 pm

I can't help but wanted to say what a beautiful bird ! :D I think I'll have to give Liseth a hair dye :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Bird woman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:50 pm

Well hopefully an amazon expert can tell you but what a pretty baby. Maybe one of those mail in tests would put the mystery to rest. You know how many robertos ive had turn into robertas ? :roll: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Navre » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:02 pm

Males have bright red feathers on the shoulders, and females have green shoulders. So I'm thinking that's a female. I can't really see the shoulder area, so I can't say for sure. I don't have any experience with this species, though. Beautiful bird.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Rmoses » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:49 am

Navre wrote:Males have bright red feathers on the shoulders, and females have green shoulders. So I'm thinking that's a female. I can't really see the shoulder area, so I can't say for sure. I don't have any experience with this species, though. Beautiful bird.

And just what is the shoulder area? I've looked online for pictures that show the the genders, and I've looked for diagrams that show the shoulders, and I've not gotten more that what you just wrote.
If you look at the photo you will see some white on the leading edge of the wing, and right behind that is red. I have looked at many pictures and I never see any more red that what he has. Thanks for your reply.
Rick
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:37 pm

It looks like a male to me (flat head and red alula). The red is not on the shoulders (according to my Encyclopedia of Amazon parrots) but on the alula and, even though females can have it, it's always smaller than in the males.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:12 pm

I was thinking that the red would be where the yellow is on a yellow-shouldered Amazon. I can't find any pictures, either. Beautiful bird either way.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:09 am

I am not an expert. My information says that for this species the males have red on the carpal edge of their wings as well as the primaries while this area is green in the female, because of this I am leaning towards your bird being a male.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:26 am

When I have seen a pair together the females have always had a thin band of white feathers on the head and the males a larger area of white like yours.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:26 pm

Wolf wrote:I am not an expert. My information says that for this species the males have red on the carpal edge of their wings as well as the primaries while this area is green in the female, because of this I am leaning towards your bird being a male.

Correct. The carpal joint (the equivalent of our wrist in birds) is where the alula (it's actually the equivalent of our first finger but it's normally called the bird's thumb because the bird can move it) grows from and it's situated right at the edge of the wing.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to Parrot Species