Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Master list of parrot types

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Master list of parrot types

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:20 pm

Am I the only one that is confused why certain parrots are called multiple different things? Like budgies being called parakeets, monk parakeets being called quaker parrots, and senegal parrots being called african senegals? The list of these mix ups can go on and on.

I want to compile a list of the proper names by which common companion parrots should be called and then post it in one of the official sections of the site. Let's see if we can iron out a consensus and compile a master list of the correct names to use so that we could all be on the same page when we talk about parrot type x or y rather than mixing up the names and confusing people.

While we're at it, we can also have a list of parrot categories. Unfortunately we cannot really go by genus because many commonly known groups spam multiple genera such as cockatoos, conures, and macaws. This could get interesting...
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Master list of parrot types

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:09 pm

How do you want to proceed?
Last edited by Natacha on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:14 pm

Just make a list of common parrots one per line. And if anyone has any others to add or an objection to the name, we can discuss it. In the end we'll try to agree on a master list and recommend that people check that and refer to birds by the correct name.

For instance it drives me crazy that everyone around her call budgies "parakeets." Yes they are a parakeet, but only one of 90+ species that are also called parakeets. Parakeet just means small, long tailed parrot. To me, when someone says parakeets, I think of the broad category or parakeets (small, long tailed parrots) rather than budgerigars so this just makes things confusing because of incorrect and non-standard terminology.

Also we can make a list of weird names we've heard for types of parrots that are incorrect and should be avoided. Here's one, I've heard budgies being called fids, what in the world is that??
Michael
Macaw

Postby MissLady9902 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:56 pm

A fid means feathered kid.
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:34 pm

MissLady9902 wrote:A fid means feathered kid.

Exactly and people apply it to all birds, not just budgiegs. You might actually see "Parront" too, where it stands for "Parent of parrot".

I don't use either, unless it's to annoy my boyfriend ;) (he finds it weird..)
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby MissLady9902 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:07 pm

Well it is weird!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby macawlover2 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:56 pm

I'm a member of another forum where the people use the word "fids" all the time. I usually try to say "bird" instead, but if the word "fid" slips through my fingers while typing, please forgive me. ;)

One bird that I'd like to add to the discussion is the rose-breasted cockatoo. There are some people that call it the Galah cockatoo, so which one do you guys use?
Oh! And another is the Blue and Gold Macaw. Some people say "Blue and Yellow Macaw", which drives me crazy. :P
macawlover2
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Military macaw, Blue and gold macaw, and a congo african grey.

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:05 pm

Blue and gold macaw certainly sounds nicer and that is what I always called them. I heard both names in use and used to think they were different kinds. That is why it's good you brought this up so we can try to agree on the correct name to use. But just now I looked it up and in fact the correct name is Blue and Yellow Macaw which surprised me. Can we have a consensus that members should try to refer to them as blue and yellow macaws then?

As for the Rose Breasted Cockatoo, I always found Galah easier to say (one word) and thought it sounded nicer. But now I looked it up and once again, Galah is the correct name.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:27 pm

Before I make an attempt to list as many parrots as I can, I will start with some categories. These are not necessarily taxanomic but rather common groups as known in aviculture. These names label parrots by characteristics and/or environment rather than genetics.

Parakeets
Parrotlets
Lovebirds (genus)
Conures
Poicephalus (genus)
Lories
Lorikeets
Caiques (debatable)
Pionus (genus)
Amazons (genus)
Macaws
Cockatoos (class)

The categories I label with genus are grouped specifically by genus and are also considered a category of parrot by owners and aviculture. It is almost ridiculous to label cockatoos as a category in the same way as the other ones because they are so distantly related and such a diverse group.

You'll notice a few of these groups are very well labeled and proper. Lovebirds, Poicepahlus, Pionus, and Amazons are all commonly known by those categories (except maybe Poicephalus) and they are genetically similar and related as a genus.

Caiques are debatable as a category because there are only two species and improperly labeled. They are properly called Black-Bellied and White-Bellied Parrots and belong to the genus Pionites. Neither one is supposed to be called Caique so I don't even know where that name came from so I would personally not be putting Caique on such a master list as a category of parrot.

There of course are many other groups of parrots that I have not mentioned but I have not ever seen or heard of them in captivity so I see no point of mentioning them here.

Thoughts?
Michael
Macaw

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:15 am

Since nobody really submitted a list to me, I tried to come up with one on my own. I posted it in the forum intro in the announcements:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=204

Please take a look at it and if you think there are any issues or would like to offer an amendment, please post replies in this section rather than under that welcome.

I am starting to realize that the system for naming parrots (and I guess all animals in general) is absolutely ridiculous! Terms like parakeet and parrotlet refer to the size and sort of shape characteristic of parrots. The terms Amazon, Lovebird, and Poicephalus apply to specific genera. Caique I have absolutely NO idea where it comes from or what it has to do with the birds cause it is neither in the name, species, or genus of those. And then the worst term must be Conure! Because it spans multiple unrelated genera, has wide array of members with varying characteristics, has members whose names unofficially contain conure in them but officially do not, and finally basically refers to kind of parakeets. Most if not all conures are parakeets and will often be called such. For instance the Green Cheeked Conure is properly called the Green Cheeked Parakeet. So wait a minute, it's a Conure, Parakeet, Parrot, and Bird. Yet 2 out of those 4 categorizations are not based on taxonomy at all! Really weird. If someone cares to explain, feel free.
Michael
Macaw

Next

Return to Parrot Species