Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Baby Red Crowned Parakeet

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Baby Red Crowned Parakeet

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:59 am

If he treats them like rats what does he expect.
They should be paired one to one and the chicks left for two parents to rear if he won't feed them properly.
Growing Old Disgracefully
User avatar
Loriusgarrulus
Conure
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 180
Location: Cheshire. United Kingdom
Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo
Flight: Yes

Re: Baby Red Crowned Parakeet

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:07 am

Brandon, I really feel the need to tell you to BE CAREFUL ! It's painfully obvious that this new bird has come from a person that doesn't properly care for the birds and not adiquetly quarantining will possibly bring in disease into your fast growing flock. I have all the resources available to me that I could possibly need or want and still find it very hard to implement the nessesary precautions to keep my flock safe when a newby comes in. Reread what michael went through when he brought Santina into his flock and the year he spent trying to heal his birds just to end up having to rehome santina. keeping the bird in a separate room is not at all the only thing to it , especially now that you have a baby to feed. Washing everytime you handled the new bird and changing clothes , keeping feeding tool sanitized after every feeding and separate from other bird stuff. Vet cost for blood panel to see if it can be introduced into the flock and still that is by no means a guarantee. BW
User avatar
Bird woman
Amazon
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 776
Location: Southern , Oregon
Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Re: Baby Red Crowned Parakeet

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:11 am

Bird woman wrote:Brandon, I really feel the need to tell you to BE CAREFUL ! It's painfully obvious that this new bird has come from a person that doesn't properly care for the birds and not adiquetly quarantining will possibly bring in disease into your fast growing flock. I have all the resources available to me that I could possibly need or want and still find it very hard to implement the nessesary precautions to keep my flock safe when a newby comes in. Reread what michael went through when he brought Santina into his flock and the year he spent trying to heal his birds just to end up having to rehome santina. keeping the bird in a separate room is not at all the only thing to it , especially now that you have a baby to feed. Washing everytime you handled the new bird and changing clothes , keeping feeding tool sanitized after every feeding and separate from other bird stuff. Vet cost for blood panel to see if it can be introduced into the flock and still that is by no means a guarantee. BW

The babies things are in the kitchen and my birds things are in my bedroom, I wash my hands before touching the babies food and after washing up and the baby is in my Mams room in a brooder.My step dad fed him at 7 am I'm glad I didn't have to wake up and do it lol.I don't know how anyone could handle a whole clutch.
User avatar
ParrotsForLife
African Grey
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 1723
Location: Ireland,Dublin
Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Baby Red Crowned Parakeet

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:19 am

Just be careful, it's heart breaking when you are responsible for protecting your flock and fail ! Packing around guilt isn't much fun. BW
User avatar
Bird woman
Amazon
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 776
Location: Southern , Oregon
Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Re: Baby Red Crowned Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:23 am

Just as an FYI, eggfood is not that bad for baby birds, it is what the parents would have fed him (not that I approve of feeding them eggs, mind you!). I don't like handfeeding formulas because they are all made out of soy which is real bad for animals...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 11146
Location: NE New Jersey
Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Re: Baby Red Crowned Parakeet

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:01 pm

Pajarita wrote:Just as an FYI, eggfood is not that bad for baby birds, it is what the parents would have fed him (not that I approve of feeding them eggs, mind you!). I don't like handfeeding formulas because they are all made out of soy which is real bad for animals...


Would Topps parrot pellets soaked in warm water to mosh it down make a good feed for a fledged youngster as that is soy free.
Growing Old Disgracefully
User avatar
Loriusgarrulus
Conure
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 180
Location: Cheshire. United Kingdom
Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo
Flight: Yes

Re: Baby Red Crowned Parakeet

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:11 pm

Pajarita wrote:Just as an FYI, eggfood is not that bad for baby birds, it is what the parents would have fed him (not that I approve of feeding them eggs, mind you!). I don't like handfeeding formulas because they are all made out of soy which is real bad for animals...

Oh I didn't know that I was told they wouldn't get all their nutrients and I thought he would only be eating protein all the time.
User avatar
ParrotsForLife
African Grey
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 1723
Location: Ireland,Dublin
Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Baby Red Crowned Parakeet

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:16 pm

The ingredients don't have soy listed unless theres another name for it
User avatar
ParrotsForLife
African Grey
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 1723
Location: Ireland,Dublin
Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Baby Red Crowned Parakeet

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:04 pm

ParrotsForLife wrote:The ingredients don't have soy listed unless theres another name for it


Its usually just listed as soy or soybean.

I have looked up Kaytee handrearing that we used to use and that has soy in it.

What make of handrearing mix is it you are using. It would be useful to know one that does not have soy in for future reference.
Growing Old Disgracefully
User avatar
Loriusgarrulus
Conure
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 180
Location: Cheshire. United Kingdom
Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo
Flight: Yes

Re: Baby Red Crowned Parakeet

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:49 pm

Loriusgarrulus wrote:
ParrotsForLife wrote:The ingredients don't have soy listed unless theres another name for it


Its usually just listed as soy or soybean.

I have looked up Kaytee handrearing that we used to use and that has soy in it.

What make of handrearing mix is it you are using. It would be useful to know one that does not have soy in for future reference.

Versele Laga, It definitely doesn't have soy or soybean listed
User avatar
ParrotsForLife
African Grey
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 1723
Location: Ireland,Dublin
Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests

Parrot ForumArticles IndexTraining Step UpParrot Training BlogPoicephalus Parrot InformationParrot Wizard Store