Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

senegal parrot maturity...

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

senegal parrot maturity...

Postby stevesjk » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:26 am

My senegal parrot just turned 3 on christmas eve and i just wondered if he had his adult personality yet? If not what changes can i expect to see happen over the coming years?
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: senegal parrot maturity...

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:46 am

At three years of age, he is a young adult which might be ready to 'set up house' - kind of like the equivalent of a guy about 20 or so, I would say. So, yes, he is already an adult but he is not mature mature yet.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:34 pm

I find him a little easier to handle than this time last year and hes less nippy than when he was younger, i have no idea whether this is typical with sennies or if they normally do get easier to negotiate with as they mature but thats my findings at this stage. Would you consider senegals 'companion parrots' or an 'aviary species'?
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:43 pm

Senegals are, most definitively, a companion species! But, it's not what I consider one or the other, it's what they are classified under.

And yes, they do get easier as the years go by (if everything is done right, of course). Sweetpea hated all humanity when he first came to me and me in particular because he fell in love at first sight with Tobita, a female sennie I used to have, and she adored me so I was THE ENEMY! It took 3.5 years of multiple daily unrelentless attacks and another 1.5 for him to become my friend.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Species