Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockatoo wants to drink coffee!!

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Cockatoo wants to drink coffee!!

Postby Skye » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:59 pm

My new Cockatoo (to me) is the first big bird I have ever owned! She is an awesome Umbrella Cockatoo!! Well when me and my husband are drinking she insists upon drinking with us!! She loves coffee, cappuccino, tea, etc!! Is this bad for her? I thought I should ask first before allowing her to drink too much! I tried offering water while I'm drinking coffee but she really wants mine! I believe she has a sweet beak!!

Thanks for the help and any other diet information you have to offer this new mom!! :cockatoo:
Skye
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella Cockatoo
Flight: No

Re: Cockatoo wants to drink coffee!!

Postby liz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:14 am

Try offering unsweetened juice in the same kind of cup. They want what we have. That is how they learn what to eat from their parents and the flock. You are it's flock. They will always go for your coffee. If you smoke a cigarette pack can be shredded. Ash trays get dumped and will be sorted through. Smokers have given up and just moved outside. I am glad I am in FL. I would freeze smoking in the north.

The more you enjoy the food you are eating the more she will want it. I never did the "mmmm" while eating before but realized that they did. If I "mmmm" they want some. My two Amazons together make some loud happy noises when eating from the same plate. The also do a "da da" while eating together. I don't understand that except they are telling each other how good it is. They don't do it while eating with us at the table. It is only when the two are eating together.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Bird woman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:09 am

A good herb decafinated tea is what I'd let them have , no caffeine and very little fruit juice. I have a few of my too's that like tea time and insist on having some when I have my coffee. They even have there own little cups. :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:48 am

Yes, please, as BW pointed out, no caffeine and no milk products (they are not mammals so they don't have the enzymes necessary to digest lactose). I drink mate in the mornings but I love my afternoon tea (Earl Grey or Lady Grey) and my Zoey Senegal was forever trying to drink from my cup so I started making her herbal tea in a little demi-tasse so she could have her own nice cup of tea, too. It worked like a charm!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Skye » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Thanks everyone!! I suspected caffeine wouldn't be good and I didn't know about the lactose!! I will offer her decaffeinated!! And just be prepared to make us both one in the morning!! She is so adorable!!! We are just thrilled with her!!

When we got her we realized the previous owners must have smoked because she smelled a lot like smoke! She is just now getting the smell out so she probably helped them with the butts too!! I've enjoyed learning with her all the things she likes to eat and play with! When we got her they really didn't give us much information.

So I'm very glad to have this helpful information!
Skye
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella Cockatoo
Flight: No

Postby Bird woman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:23 pm

Sounds like you love her very much. Cockatoos need cool baths or you can use a spray bottle , make sure she is dry before bed time. That should help to get the junk off her feathers. Please look up on the internet about what's poison to birds { very important } .they have super sensitive respiratory systems. I use no chemicals or sprays or perfumes or nonstick cookware around mine. There's so much info you'll need to learn if she's to stay healthy and happy. The forum is a great place to get questions answered about anything and we are always happy to help. Please start studying as it would take me days to give enough info to start . Give lots of veggies and a little fruit daily with good seed mix or pellets and few nuts for treats . You will become deeply bonded to your new baby so it's important to do things as best you can for her. :thumbsup: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:16 am

If she smelled like smoke she inhaled it too. Just think of what the poor thing went through with while withdrawing from the nicotine.

I wish they had clinics to put smokers in like they do drug addicts. It is really a drug and I have tried many times to quit in every way that exists. It is really hard to quite when so many people around me smoke. I wish I had a place to check into like a drug addict to get clean.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:13 am

Yes, as BW noted, frequent baths (which all cockatoos love!) would help a lot with the smell. Make sure the water is cold (warm water strips their plumage and skin of their natural oils) and that you allow many hours for her to dry off (they look dry after a couple but, if you touch the down, you'll realize they are still damp) before going to bed.

Now I have to be the party pooper again but decaffeinated coffee still has caffeine in it (about 10% of regular coffee) and it still has a bad effect on other stuff. See this from a study on it:

"Decaf can, however, have some of the same effects on the body as regular coffee. It too can cause heartburn or irritate stomach ulcers in susceptible people. And oddly enough, even without the caffeine, it too can stimulate the nervous system and briefly boost blood pressure in those unaccustomed to coffee, according to Swiss researchers"

The thing is that parrots do not consume coffee beans or anything similar in their natural diet so, even when you are giving them decag, it's still bad for them. And this is even if you don't use any sugar in it -which is real bad for parrots!

I recommend you try chamomile, linden, star anise or any other herb that has no caffeine, instead. Zoey loves her chamomile tea with a little bit of lemon in it (they love sour stuff).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Species