Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New budgies!

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

New budgies!

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 19, 2017 1:38 pm

I had mentioned on my update thread that I was going to go pick up a pair of budgies in my effort to create a little flock for Harley's benefit - and I was going to wait until the next update to tell you about them but I couldn't wait! They are ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!! I really could not believe my eyes when I saw them! I expected a male and female from PetSmart or some such that the owner had gotten tired of (the man was giving them out for free!) but these are obviously private breeder birds and not from a bird mill! They are not only gorgeous, they are so very delicate looking with long, slim bodies and skinny tails... He is a PERFECT double spangle yellow (this means he is completely yellow with no other color but a single white spot on each side of his neck) and she is a single spangle opaline sky blue (Her upper body is almost all white with a few markings of a very pale grey on the wings and the palest sky blue underbody). And they had been fed only supermarket seeds and water! Now, why would anybody pay two or three times as much to get a bird from a good breeder and then feed them cheap seeds and nothing else? It makes no sense! Mind you, not that I am saying that any bird should have that kind of diet because I am not but one would think that if you go to the trouble and expense of getting better than average birds, you would put more effort into their care, don't you think?

They had no names so I named her Luna and he has become Tweety - I know, I know, not a very original name for an all yellow bird but the funny thing is that he actually tweets! I had never heard a budgie tweeting like a canary but he does!

Now, to give them vitamin/mineral supplement everyday for two weeks and transition them to a better diet, observe them carefully and see if they show any kind of symptoms so I can put them all together in the large flight cage (I also have to order the new cages).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: New budgies!

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Fri May 19, 2017 4:25 pm

That's great!! But do make sure you transition them to a better diet. Also, PLEASE, PLEASE let them out of the cage every day to make sure they get enough exercise. I saw your previous post saying how you don't think the small parrots need out of cage time. Remember, they deserve as much respect as the big parrots and absolutely need out of cage time!! Letting a parrot waste its life away in a cage with not much to do and not enough room to really fly is wrong. Just because they are small and do well in a flock doesn't mean they should ever be treated like decorations that sing a pretty song. And even with other birds available, they can still bond with people and be no less of a companion than a large parrot, even if they still prefer their own species.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Budgie

Postby liz » Sat May 20, 2017 6:14 am

Your preaching to the choir. Pajarita is the one always helping others with diet and freedom. Those budgies are now in the best home they can be in. I am sure that Paj is looking for a single female for him to love and care for.

When I got Harley and Marley I had no idea how old they were or how many times they were passed around. I had them about 6 months when I decided that I was not giving them the best care and Wolf took them in. Now Pajarita has taken in Harley. Yes we have passed them around but they are still within the forum and have a recorded history in here.

Pajarita they must beautiful. Can't wait to see pictures.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Sat May 20, 2017 6:44 am

If I had it to do over again, I'd have a room full of budgies!
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 20, 2017 11:35 am

They already started the better diet transition. I gave them just seeds when they first came in and again last night but, this morning, they got gloop with a few seeds mixed in and I waited a couple of minutes to see what they would do and Tweety got down from his perch and starting eating it so we are doing good. As to letting them out to fly... well, I never let them out for the first couple of weeks they are here. I do it with the larger one but not the little ones because they are too flighty and too small and it's dangerous for them. Once the flock is complete, they have bonded and got used to me and the daily routine, they will come out but, in truth, once they are in flock and in a flight cage, all they want to do is be with their flock mates - flying and exploring takes second place to being together and good food :lol:

Now, on to find a hen for Harley!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Sat May 20, 2017 12:29 pm

My birds love to come out, its their favorite thing in the world :D
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 21, 2017 11:08 am

Yes, but you have one of each. It's completely different when you have a mate-bonded pair and even more different when you have a flock. I once had a large tree branch crash into a window of my birdroom in Pa where I had flocks of lovebirds, tiels and budgies living cage free and the only birds that flew out were a couple of young budgie males that had no mates (well, a quaker and a Senegal also got out but I got them back within a few hours). All the other little ones that had mates stayed in the room with the flocks even though they could have easily gotten out (and I am talking more than 90 birds altogether!). When they have a mate and belong to a flock, the space where they live is their entire universe as long as they have food and water, and they have no real interest in going anywhere else.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Sun May 21, 2017 4:49 pm

Parrots in the wild always live in flocks, but they fly miles every day to find food. If the birds aren't interested at all in their surroundings, then something must be wrong. Our companion birds still have that instinct to forage, chew, climb, and fly around. You need to provide foraging opportunities and destroy toys outside of their cage to keep them occupied, or perhaps even a whole playgym like I have. If the bird has never come out before, then of course it won't want to right away. If you are really interested in providing a natural environment for your birds, then you should at least let them out to forage on the floor for seeds and things that were dropped, and fly around your house or bird room.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 22, 2017 12:37 pm

Yes, parrots in the wild do fly miles to forage but they don't if they have food right under the tree where they are roosting. Parrots don't forage because they like to (it's not a hobby to them), they do it because they need to find enough food to eat but if you eliminate the need to look for food, they are very happy staying where they are. These birds did not live in cages, they had a big room with platforms and tree branches (one of their 'perches' was the top part of the trunk of a young tree that had fallen down -it was 13ft long, the entire width of the room- the length of the room was 25 ft so, as you can see, it was a nice size room) and they had lots of stuff to entertain them. They did not 'escape' because they did not feel the need to - they were happy where they were and did not need to go looking for anything except for the single budgies that went looking for a mate, most likely.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby stevesjk » Mon May 22, 2017 3:26 pm

With Most escapes the bird just gets confused and flies for miles because of that confusion and also in their minds you can fly too so they no doubt assume you can follow them. Rest assured that after the initial adventure is over they are scared and want to go home.
stevesjk
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Next

Return to Parrot Species