Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Info About Quaker Parrots

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Info About Quaker Parrots

Postby Evelyn » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:54 am

Hello all,
I am thinking about purchasing a baby Quaker from a breeder and would love to get some pros and cons from someone who is experienced with Quakers. I am mostly concerned about cage aggression and noise level (I live in an apartment). Some chattering and occasional loud outbursts are fine, but constant screaming is not. I've also heard that Quakers are often one person birds and can become jealous of other people/birds. Have any of you guys experienced these issues with your quaker(s)?
I also would appreciate any advice on introducing a new bird. I currently have a very lovable 10 year old double yellow headed Amazon. I rescued him 5 years ago and he is bonded to me and my family. He is a very friendly bird and rarely shows any signs of aggression to new people or animals. However, I'm concerned that he might be jealous if I bring home a new bird. I would like the two birds to eventually get to know each other and hopefully become friends. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Evelyn
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Flight: No

Re: Info About Quaker Parrots

Postby Navre » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:09 am

DYH are tricky birds. If you have a good relationship with one, I'd be careful about disrupting things.

Quakers can be very noisy, but we currently have a pair who aren't too bad at all.

Where do you live? Sometimes Quakers are banned or have special permitting requirements. They have established feral colonies all over the country.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Evelyn » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:07 am

Hi, yes I know they can be tricky. I grew up with one with serious behavioral issues. My DYH is generally very laid back though. He's bonded to me, but he also adores my mother and is friendly to strangers. He has never been aggressive or jealous toward anyone/anything. So that's why I'm thinking about introducing another bird. Obviously I would cage them separately and slowly acquaint them with each other. Perhaps a Quaker would not be the best choice.
Also I live in Texas. They're legal here.
Evelyn
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:08 am

Welcome to the forum, Evelyn!

Quakers are very loud. They scream just because they like to hear themselves scream :lol: They scream in the cage, they scream outside the cage and they even scream while they fly. I LOVE them but they are very loud. And the problem with having two birds with one of them being loud is that, once the quiet bird starts hearing the other bird vocalizing, it will become a contest of who can scream loudest -it's the way that Nature programmed them to react to vocalizations because they live in very large colonies and they all have to make themselves heard over the other ones. So, personally, I would not recommend a quaker for somebody who lives in an apartment and has another bird. If I had a 'good' amazon, I would go with another one. Is that out of the question for you? Because, in my personal experience, amazons are the easiest species to bond to another one of all the large species! And it doesn't even have to be of the same species or of the opposite gender (although I would go with a female as they are always much sweeter than males). Also, would you consider adopting instead of buying a baby? There are soooo many great birds that need a good home...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Evelyn » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:09 pm

Okay, I think I'm NOT going to get a quaker at this time! I have definitely thought about getting another Amazon. My guy is a rescue and he turned out to be a wonderful bird, so I would be open to that. I have checked a couple of rescues in my area and they had some cockatoos, macaws and conures, but no Amazons. I have also thought about maybe an African grey, but haven't come across any of those either... I guess I'll take my time and do some more research. Thanks for the help!
Evelyn
Parakeet

Postby Navre » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:39 pm

They'll get Amazons. They live a long time and are hard to place. I wish you were in New England. I have about a dozen Amazons in the rescue.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Evelyn » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:56 pm

Darn.. Me too. I'd love to adopt another Amazon.
Evelyn
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:15 am

Evelyn, look in Craig's List, RescueMe and Kijiji, they have birds for adoption there ALL THE TIME.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby birds4u » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:02 am

I love parrots i am have much experience in parrots. I am also providing the breeding in UK. As for as health in concern parrots should be treated with lot of care. There are many rules to keep parrots healthy and strong.
I will keep on updating you.
birds4u
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 50
Types of Birds Owned: Ringneck parrots, Sun Conure, Quaker, Alexanderin, Plum Head Parrots

Return to Parrot Species