Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

They drum to a beat!!!

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

They drum to a beat!!!

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:25 am

This is an article about the Black Palm Cockatoo and one of their courtship behaviors but what is super interesting about it is not that they drum (lots of birds do!) but that they are the ONLY animals that use a tool to do it AND that individual birds have each their own 'music' which they repeat in the same pattern -something which makes scientists believe that it's done on purpose so other males can recognize the bird doing it - is that UNBELIEABLE OR WHAT?!! When I tell you that there is no class of animals more amazing than birds, I am not exaggerating!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spe ... 70e1c16479
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: They drum to a beat!!!

Postby Bird woman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:03 pm

I watched a special on tv about that this week , very fascinating. Riki my big mollucan stomps her foot all the time when she wants something and Lilly will use a chop stick to scratch her back. Smart little cookies. :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species