Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Where are the Island Park quakers?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Where are the Island Park quakers?

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:53 am

This is an article about a colony that seems to be disappearing... It has a few mistakes: quakers did not 'take up' making nests because of the climate here -they always made them- and they don't destroy their nest so their babies will leave it -they live in them all year round and the babies stay with the family, etc. But, all in all, it's a pretty good article because it shows that most people like them and are trying to protect them.

http://www.liherald.com/stories/island- ... eets,93740
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Where are the Island Park quakers?

Postby Navre » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:02 am

I'm torn about invasive species. Just because it's something I like doesn't mean it's not a problem.

Someone told me about a rescue in Southern California rehabbing and releasing Lilac crowned amazons back into the wild. I'm not sure that's a good idea.

If you bring an injured English Sparrow, or European Starling to a rehabber here, it will be put down. It is illegal to release those birds back into the wild. They're invasive, and even though that ship has sailed, you can't do it. Of course, the state releases thousands of Chinese pheasants into the wild every fall, so I'm not sure why one is invasive and the other isn't.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:02 am

John, quakers are not really an 'invasive' species. The definition of an invasive species is one that not being native tends to "cause damage to the environment, human economy or human health" but, in reality, it's 'economy' that drives the definition and, if you want to be truly specific, it's the hit to the farmers' pockets and nothing else. But even that doesn't work for quakers because the feral colonies stay in urban areas.

As to English sparrows and starlings, I think the whole thing of putting them down is ridiculous!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:19 am

That definition ignores what invasive populations can do to native populations. I suspect there are far fewer American sparrows and other native songbirds around beciase the English sparrows are so numerous. Pheasant populations probably hurt Partridge populations.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:03 am

Well, that's the 'environment' part of the definition but it has been found that no native bird population has declined because of quakers. As to the English sparrows. I LOVE them! I have a flock that comes to eat breakfast every morning on my driveway and I recently put out a nice bird bath for them in my small front garden. For the ones that don't know this, these are the ones also called House sparrows and the same ones you see all over the place in the cities along with the starlings and the pigeons -two species which are also not native to USA. Personally, I think that once a non-native species is established, the country should just 'own it' and stop trying to eradicate them UNLESS they are really and truly harmful. After all, lots of species we have in USA are non-native: horses, cows, sheep, pigs, etc. (even cats and dogs!) only we call the ones we like 'introduced species' instead of 'invasive species' - nothing but semantics.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:28 am

I totally fell for the story released in April that Wyoming Game and Fish was releasing Kangaroos into the state. I didn't read the story until the 5th, so i didn't get that it was an April fools joke.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:38 am

:lol: I didn't even know of that April's Fool prank! I would have fallen for it, too! And wouldn't you just love to see kangaroos hopping alongside the highways as one can see in Australian movies?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:55 am

Pajarita wrote::lol: I didn't even know of that April's Fool prank! I would have fallen for it, too! And wouldn't you just love to see kangaroos hopping alongside the highways as one can see in Australian movies?

Noooooooo! Introducing Kangaoos in Wyoming would probably cause the extinction Plymouth Red-Bellied turtle here! I'm not sure how, but that's how these things work.

When I was still believing the story, I was mad at Australia for exporting the kangaroos because they, of all people, should know better. Everything introduced there, except maybe for the camel, has been a total disaster.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:24 am

Kangaroos can cause the extinction of a turtle? Why? Is it because they would step on them or prevent them from breeding?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:50 am

Pajarita wrote:Kangaroos can cause the extinction of a turtle? Why? Is it because they would step on them or prevent them from breeding?

Because we are never smart enough to figure out the consequences. (I just picked an absurdly improbable example)
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Next

Return to Parrot Species