Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Foot Coloring and Age?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Foot Coloring and Age?

Postby pfinarffle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:27 am

I read over the Senegal eye coloring thread a few months back. It got me thinking. So I've noticed that since November when we first got our foster :senegal: his foot color has gotten somewhat darker. Back in the fall it was a fairly pink color, so pink that my parents (who once owned a Timneh Grey) asked if he was still a baby (our Grey's feet were pink when he was a baby then got dark grey with age). I know this isn't generalizable to all species of bird, but for those of you who've seen :senegal: 's age, have you noticed a change in the coloration of their feet/legs as they get older?

Incidentally, we have no idea how old ours is as he is a foster parrot at this point (though we'll likely adopt him in the next couple months). I was under the impression that he was fairly old, at least 10 years. Am uncertain, however. If only they could be aged by appearances alone!
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Foot Coloring and Age?

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:51 am

I think the feet just get tougher and more callused. When they are babies, they often sit in a tank and don't do much perching. So I would suspect that is why.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species