Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help needed with my New intimidated IRN

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Help needed with my New intimidated IRN

Postby Drara » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:38 pm

Dear Friends Hello

I would appreciate the help of the experts here with IRN's.

Last Thursday I have brought home my new (hand fed) Blue IRN, about 4 months old.
I bought it from a private seller (not the actual breeder) and when I was at his house I held the IRN on my hands and she was very quiet and not biting at all but also looked intimidated.

First day she was home, she was very quiet and barely moving. She stood at one place in the cage and was very afraid. It is now the third night home, and she already adapted her self to her new surrounding. she eats and climbs all around the cage. she also already plays with all the toy's in the cage and even makes some noise and also so called talking to her self...

BUT...

1. She mostly does all that when I am in an other room or out of home.
Well, if I enter the room where her cage is, she stops playing and talking etc...

2. On the second day home, when I tried to approach her cage trying to hand her a treat, she right away ran back to a back corner of the cage and she keeps on runing to back of the cage when ever I come too close.

Well, I know that parrots need their time to observe their new home. I also know that most people would say, don't try to force her out of the cage etc...
Actually, I also left the cage door open for hours during the day on Saturday, but she didn't show any interest of coming out.

She is a hand fed parrot but I guess that the seller didn't provide her with much attention and now she is afraid of me, despite the fact that when I am not around her cage she feels very happy already.

What and how should I do, in order to gain her trust and make her wanna come to me or at least want to receive the treat that I offer her through the bars of her cage? and How long would it take to have her finally wanna come to me?
Drara
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine and Indian Ringneck
Flight: No

Re: Help needed with my New intimidated IRN

Postby stevesjk » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:15 am

I wouldn't force her out of her cage, in fact dont make her do anything against her will.

I would talk to her softly, do everyday activities like watch tv or read while sitting next to her cage, slow movements. Leave the door of her cage open if safe to do so. Its much better to provide them with options rather than to force them to do stuff.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Help needed with my New intimidated IRN

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:39 am

Welcome to the forum! Now, I hope you don't take this the wrong way but getting baby parrots from resellers is not a good idea, my dear. They go through a lot of trauma being moved from the only home they know to one that is temporary and completely inadequate [flippers are not known for actually liking birds, to them, it's a business and nothing else so they don't really care for them properly] and, most likely, the whole 'moving' thing was done way too early and that's the reason why this bird, which should be perfectly fine with humans as it's still a baby and was handfed, is so scared of them. It's particularly bad for aviary species which IRN's are... But, what's done is done and now we will concentrate in trying to help the poor baby!

Steven is correct: do not ask her/him for anything! Put the cage up high so the roosting perch is at your eye level when you are standing next to it [it gives them a sense of safety as you, the giant predator- is not looming over them]. Put the cage near a source of natural light -like a window- but make sure the back it's covered -either against a wall or with a material draped over the back to create a 'solid' wall [this also gives them a sense of safety as they know no predator will get to them from this side].

Talk, sing, whistle to it and spend as much time as possible in the same room without looking straight at it [only predators do that]. Give it two kinds of soft food, served warm and fresh twice a day [this is not only necessary for their proper nutrition -human toddlers, puppies, kittens, etc don't get fed adult food but food meant for the young of the species and it's the same thing with birds] and lots of fruits [these birds are mainly fruit eaters in the wild and should never be free-fed high protein food as it destroys their livers and kidneys]. Leave the door of the cage open all the time you are in the room with it but don't ask it to come out, just wait for it. Offer it a treat every now and then but, once you see that it's backing up when you approach, just stretch out your arm and put the treat on the bottom of the cage and walk away, turning your body so your front doesn't face the cage.

Once you see that it's not longer afraid of you [it will not back up but eagerly get closer when you offer the treat and takes it from your fingers, it comes out of its cage as soon as you open the door, etc], you can start asking it to step up.

Another thing you can try is to offer soft food (could be just warm baby food from a jar] in a syringe and see if it takes it because handfed birds usually react very positively to a syringe and, if it does, handfeed it once a day because there is no deeper bond than they one you create by handfeeding a baby!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species