Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

A second parrot?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

A second parrot?

Postby RossM » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:43 pm

I've had a Conure for 6+ years, and she's great company, a cheeky little thing, and overly curious at times, but I couldn't wish for a better pet.

She has the run (fly) of the house, and the only time she is in here cage is to eat, and sleep. I close and cover her cage after she takes herself to bed, a cylinder about 6 cm diameter, usually right on dark, and it's opened about sunrise.

Being retired, I spend a lot of time with her, but often wonder if she's lonely when I'm not here, never more than a few hours a day. When I'm about, she spends most of her time on my shoulder or head, and in winter, under my clothes.

I often think about buying another Conure for company, but wonder if she would bond with it, and I would be excluded, or if she may become aggressive with the new bird. Would another female be best if I do get another, or would a male be better? There is the breeding issue to deal with if a male.

I've read conflicting reports, so am looking for any further information that enthusiasts may be able to provide, theoretical and practical.

Please give me your thoughts, and experiences on this issue.
RossM
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: A second parrot?

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:00 pm

I personally strive to give all my birds a companion of their own species because I firmly believe that, even if they never actually bond with each other, just the fact that there is another being that looks like them and speaks their language has to enrich their lives immensely. I also have never found that birds that are bonded to one another forget their love for their human but, in all honesty, even if it did happen, I would still give them a companion bird because, to me, their happiness and wellbeing is always my first priority. My feelings are not important, theirs are.

I have a female GCC [a yellow sided] that is bonded to a male peachfront conure. He is old, sick and severely handicapped [a wild-caught used as a breeder for a long time and not taken good care of] and, when he dies, she will get a male GCC - no question about it! She is the sweetest, most affectionate bird I have [she kisses and kisses and kisses me all the time] and spends a good two solid hours on me every single day. She never screams and never, ever bites -so much so that she is the one bird I have that I trust with my grandkids. So I would say: Go for it! But don't buy a baby because babies and adults don't 'fit' in the bird world - the other bird doesn't have to be of the same age but it has to be an adult so we are talking 2 years old or more. Make sure they are of opposite genders because this makes it 100 times easier for them to bond and like each other and take your time introducing them to each other [don't forget quarantine!] and your bird will most definitely thank you for it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby RossM » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:06 am

Thanks Pajarita.

I guess the problem will be to find an adult bird that has been hand raised, and tame.

Thanks again for your input, and all the best for 2018.

Ross
RossM
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon Conure

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:15 pm

Thank you and the same to you and yours, Ross! I don't know where you live but around me [tristate NY area] there are lots and lots of GCCs on CL and in rescues...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Species