Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Telling Senegal Parrots Apart

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Telling Senegal Parrots Apart

Postby Michael » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:32 pm

A short video about how I tell my Senegal apart from one that is temporarily boarding. For those with multiple similar birds, how do you tell yours apart?

http://ParrotWizard.com/Videos?v=8435Q9rpkO4
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Telling Senegal Parrots Apart

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:54 am

The only parrots I have that look similar are the two yellownape amazons but it's easy to tell them apart because one is a male and the other a female -the male is slightly larger/chunkier, with a flatter and bigger head and a thicker neck and, besides, the yellow spots on the back of their necks are different so it doesn't matter in what position they are standing, I can tell which is which. But I think it's mostly a matter of familiarity -you know, the way a mother can tell identical twins apart even though nobody else can. No individual of any of the monomorphic species is truly and completely identical to another so it's all a matter of observing them and making a mental note of the subtle differences, the way Mariana did with the female Sennies. I have three black cats and one that looks all black unless you are able to see the round white spot [thus, his name 'Moono' because of the 'full moon' spot] he has under his chin but I can tell which one is which even from afar -my husband can't though... he needs to get close and look at the cat carefully to figure out which one it is.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:40 am

Some birds look so similar, but Senegals are one breed that seem to vary quite a bit from bird to bird.

Amazons seem highly variable. We have had such a wide variety of blue fronts, they don't even seem like the same species. I can tell all the amazons apart pretty easily.

When we had 4 goffins, I would never have been able to tell them apart.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:22 pm

I am sure you would have if the birds had been yours.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Species