Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Blue and Gold Macaw Questions

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Blue and Gold Macaw Questions

Postby Traci0921 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:02 pm

I tried the 'step up' from the ground trick, and as I suspected - he just gets angry at it. Shrug. Last night he did put one foot on my hand when I offered it. So - progress!
Traci0921
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, B&G Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:15 am

If he got angry, it's because he was never taught to step up to a stick so that should be your first priority: to teach him to do it via first desensitization and then training with reward. But there could be something else going on because I've never known a bird that got angry at a stick just because it was offered to it... I mean, if they are not used to stepping up to one, all they do is ignore it - why get angry? It makes no sense. Maybe they used a stick in the past to hit his cage? Or to scare him?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Traci0921 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:00 pm

Yes, I was told he is "hard to get back in the cage" - so they hadn't let him out for 2 years.

His initial reaction to a broom led me to believe that a broom or stick of some sort may have been used to get him to return to his cage obviously not in a good way. I've installed a perch on his cage door and he is learning that he goes there to come out and go back in. Sometimes I have to wait him out for 1/2 hr or so at night, but he will eventually return to the perch and I can shut the door.

I am happy to report though, that in the 4 weeks I have had him he has learned to target, wave, open his wings "big bird".....and last night? He stepped up for the first time with both feet! He's still not a big fan of me MOVING while he is on my arm - but we'll get there. He gets 2-3 hours a night of my undivided attention and we do some training in there too.

I'm really happy with our progress. It's only been about 4 weeks!

Thanks for all of your input! :macaw:
Traci0921
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:39 am

GREAT!!!! To make him feel less insecure on your arm, make sure you 'anchor' your upper arm by keeping it stuck to the side of your body and that you walk without bouncing -this is only for now until he trusts you implicitly and learns that you are not going to allow him to fall.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Traci0921 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:48 am

Thanks! We are taking it slow. I allow him to eat the treat he is offered to step up, then offer scratches and return him to his stand when he gets to antsy. We are learning to trust each other. I still have to overcome handing him a treat with my bare fingers. :)
Traci0921
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:54 am

Oh, that's easy! Start by handing him big things and holding them from a corner -like a piece of bread or a cookie [if you don't make him birdy bread or birdy cookies, you can always use Arnold's HealthNut or whole wheat Matzo, instead]. You can also offer him a slice of apple or a big piece of banana. The idea is for you to feel confident you will have plenty of space and time to take your hand away if you see him lunging while learning his body language and the way he reacts to this. But, in my personal experience, they are pretty smart about not 'burning their ships' when they are getting something they like so, most likely, he will just take the treat like a little gentleman. Of course, maybe your situation is different because your bird is overly hormonal - mine never are.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Traci0921 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:34 am

I don't have a problem handing him larger items typically - it's the small training treats that I'm still using a measuring spoon to offer. I'm sure we'll get there with time and trust.
Traci0921
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:08 am

Start by offering him a whole nut that he actually needs to crack and hold with his 'hand' to eat. Even the most aggressive bird would not bite the hand that is offering him a peanut in the shell - they are VERY smart and they all LOVE peanuts in the shell with a passion! Mind you, it's not as if I am recommending you feed him peanuts regularly because I am not! It's just to start both of you with a 'safe' offering until you and him learn to deal with each other.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Parrot Species