Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Researching; Looking to own a parrot again

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Researching; Looking to own a parrot again

Postby c_faith » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:53 am

Hello! I posted an intro quite a while back in 2014. At the time, my red-throated conure, Kramer, was 11 years old but he unfortunately became very ill in March-April 2015 & ultimately passed away.

I originally did not want another parrot after he passed away but he passed far sooner than I expected & was not ready to no longer have one. It has been 3 years & I believe I'd like to welcome a new one & have been doing some research on different species, I was hoping I could get insight on a few from all of you here?

While I am very fascinated with large parrots (especially the Catalina) I don't think I'm suited for one & most likely am looking to get another conure. I bird sat a few green cheeks & while they were sweet, I don't think they are what I'm looking for. I've been interested in the blue crowned, black capped, blue throated (though I haven't been successful on much info about these) & very recently, the Jenday.

I am very well aware that each parrot will have it's own personality so please take this very generally speaking. I am looking for a species that has more of a tendency to be cuddly with it's owner, one that will enjoy interacting with me & preferably easily socialized (Kramer was NOT but that was due to certain circumstances sadly). I would like a species that has a good chance of mimicking, same or better speaking ability as Kramer had which seems to be like that of a sun conure. I very much miss all the dancing & chatting back & forth with my red throat & would love to have something like that again.

Also after watching some of the Parrot Wizard's videos, am slightly interested in a Cape Parrot since they are very cuddly & quiet. However, almost wondering if they're so quiet that I wouldn't get the chattering back & forth with one like that?

Sorry for the read, Kramer was given to me when I was 12 so I have never had the opportunity to select my own species of bird. Any help is greatly appreciated! :senegal:
c_faith
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red-Throated Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Researching; Looking to own a parrot again

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:04 am

Oh believe me, Truman is anything but quiet! :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby c_faith » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:05 pm

lol fair enough. From what I've seen at least in youtube videos though, he's far more quiet compared to my red-throated conure. I tried looking up several videos on cape parrots screaming & honestly I could handle that much better than my conure's lol.

I just want to still be able to still have a fun & silly relationship with one like I had with mine. Sometimes it was actual words back & forth, other times Kramer & I would just make all kinds of silly noises to each other & I absolutely loved that. Is this kind of thing typical of a Cape as well?
c_faith
Parrotlet

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:35 pm

Truman is a chatter box and can have a conversation in his limited vocabulary. We ask him questions and he answers them or imitates back phrases or sounds. However he also has a pretty difficult stubborn personality. He’s extremely independent, moody, holds grudges, and stubborn. Other parrots are more eager to please, cooperate, or behave properly where as he just does what he wants. So there’s definitely upsides and down sides at the same time. It’s easy to see or share the nice things but the difficult parts are harder to describe.

More here:
http://TrainedParrot.com/Cape_Parrot
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby c_faith » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:43 am

Yes, I just recently read one of your other posts you made about Truman's stubbornness. It actually kind of reminded me of my conure, he was pretty difficult on his own. However, I'm wondering if maybe in writing it sounds fairly the same of how my conure acted, but possibly worse when you actually experience it hands on. Kramer screamed almost nonstop, though thankfully he started to learn to whistle if he wanted attention (worked sometimes) but he would also start throwing a fit or flying around if he didn't want to go back in his cage or do what I wanted him to do but I learned to work with it.

This is definitely a difficult decision! Hard deciding when I haven't had that much hands on experience with very many different species. I would get a red throat again if I knew I wouldn't always think of Kramer every time I looked at the new one. Probably still not getting one for a couple more months so I still have some time to research!
c_faith
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:24 am

My dear, first of all, please accept my deepest condolences on your loss. Secondly and although I give you kudos for doing research on the matter, the truth is that for people who have expectations of what their future bird needs to be like their best bet is going to a rescue and seeing which bird is the one that 'catches their eye' or chooses them. Birds of the same species do have some common characteristics but nobody who has one or two of the same species knows anything about the species, per se - they just know about their own bird[s]. People say that GCCs and senegals are 'quiet' birds but I have gotten individuals of both species that were given up because of their intemperate and constant screaming - people say that sun conures and quakers are too loud and scream too often but I've had both species that were not screamers at all - people say that amazons are very aggressive but I have two females that are the sweetest, sweetest things imaginable and have never, ever, ever even offered to bite. It all has to do with the individual bird and the way they are kept. Feed a bird too much protein and keep it at a human light schedule and you will have a screamer. Keep a bird in a cage for too many hours and you will, most likely, end up with a screamer and possibly also a biter. As to talking... well, only ten percent of parrots actually talk so it's not what one would call a good percentage, is it?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Species