Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What parrot species am I looking for?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

What parrot species am I looking for?

Postby john_gravel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:41 am

Hi! I have decided it time to get a parrot (or optional another pet bird). What species would you recommend for me?

I live in an apartment with my wife, we are around 30 years old and have a good economy. Flexible schedules, often working from home.

Important:
No loud screaming - I have neighbours
Social, cuddly & affectionate
Can be left alone for a day or two (It's ok if I have to get 2 birds to keep each other company).

Not necessary, but a bonus:
Colorful
Ability to talk or sing songs
Not super expensive
Not too big

I do understand that several of the traits I seek are possible to achieve through patience and training, but I guess that for some species it comes more naturally.
john_gravel
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: What parrot species am I looking for?

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:11 am

I can't tell you what you should get but here are some parrots that are more likely to fit that description to help you narrow your research:

Senegal Parrot
Meyers Parrot
Cockatiel
Monk Parakeet
Pionus

Generally stay away from larger or more colorful parrots because they all tend to be noisier. African Greys can suit the noise point but can have greater problems with being left alone and just a lot more difficult in general. My Senegal Parrot fits all of your descriptions but without training would have been an absolute one person-bird monster. Only through training have I gotten her to accept and not bite other people. That's the most probable draw-back and difficulty to expect with Senegals. Pionus could be a good option as well.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:28 am

Hmmmm, quakers are out in apartment living because their vocalizations are loud [and I am not talking screaming, I am talking normal vocalizations] and no parrot can be left alone for an entire day, much less two. Senegals are considered 'quiet' birds but I got one that was given up because of her constant screaming [the previous owner was afraid of getting evicted because of the complaints] and somebody recently posted about a sennie that is driving its owners crazy with its screams. The truth of the matter is that even 'quiet' species scream when you leave them alone - and it's a terribly unkind thing to do to a highly social animal.

Now, a bonded pair of cockatiels would fulfill most of the requirements: not loud, inexpensive, could be colorful if you get a pretty mutation like a lutino, for example, and they would be OK if left during the day but not a whole 24 hours or more unless you get somebody to come over to feed water, clean the cage, etc. when you are away which should not be too hard to do. But bonded pairs are not really very affectionate with people and I doubt they would talk because, although they can, hardly ever happens with bonded pairs.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Mon May 14, 2018 4:40 am

If you want a pet that can be left alone for a day or two stick a flap in your door and get a cat but even that needs fresh water. Parrots are not suitable for you and a single one on its own would be disastrous. I have a single senegal but he's my companion bird and i treat him like a best friend really. Im home all day most days so it was a suitable pet for my circumstances.

I must have missed the screaming senegal thread but i believe screaming can be considerably reduced with an open cage door, some play trees with toys and company.

If you live in an apartment with a larger species like a cockatoo or macaw and neighbours complain of noise i think its game over but i think with a senegal you've got half a chance.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Return to Parrot Species