Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Macaw personality

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Macaw personality

Postby GreenWing » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:12 am

How would you describe the personality of Macaws, generally speaking? Do they tend to be bold? Vocal? Don't like fuss?
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: Macaw personality

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 am

It depends on the species but, generally speaking and if they get good care, they tend to be laid back, late risers, good eaters and bond deeply to their human. As to vocal... well, all parrots are and macaws are loud but, again, with good care, they would only vocalize twice a day.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:38 am

Slow, hulking, and big chickens. They're pretty big wusses for their size.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:47 am

Hmmm, as long as they have not been severely neglected and/or abused and/or 'taught' to bite because the two I had were VERY aggressive and it's one thing to have a 'mean' conure but it's a completely different story when it's a big ass macaw that is coming after you with blood in its eye! Granted that, in time and with patience, they both ended up being great birds but that can be said of pretty much any parrot with a problem...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:59 am

Michael wrote:Slow, hulking, and big chickens. They're pretty big wusses for their size.

I could hear my neighbors Macaw screeming for help. The owner had his cage outside spraying it. Being the critter person that I am I went over to see if the bird was in the cage. He was not. He was on th porch trying to open the front door. I sat on the top step to talk to him when he came running and got on me to tell me what was wrong. I did not expect him to be that heavy.
The man wanted to sell him to me but I did not have $800.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby GreenWing » Tue May 15, 2018 8:43 am

Michael wrote:Slow, hulking, and big chickens. They're pretty big wusses for their size.

Lol. This is so funny because they're pretty intimidating. I wondered if they were the great danes of parrots?
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 15, 2018 8:55 am

Well, all I can tell you is that the ones I had were no 'gentle giants' and certainly no 'wuzzes'!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Parrot Species