Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Amazons?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Amazons?

Postby MandyG » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:37 pm

captwest wrote:Think i'll tip-toe around this one.

I'm assuming you don't allow yours on your shoulder? I'd love to hear your opinion, you have a lot of experience with a variety Amazons. I've only had parrots for just over 2 years, I might be letting my inexperience get in the way of making a smart decision, but I'm here to learn from others' experience if you'd like to share.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby captwest » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:15 pm

It's just that it's a controversial issue, I think your right on with the "bite the one your with" thing.and with some birds it's a big bird ,little bird issue. If you start out when they're young and don't let them up on your shoulder I think you have less problems in the future. I realize that it's less of a problem with a flighted bird.but your shoulder is a poor place to carry a bird, you can't see to read them, footing isn't that secure, etc. We never let our babies get up on the shoulder and tell their new owners that it's a no=no.I make a simple perch that i wear around my neck, it allows me to do about anything with the bird, bend over, wash dishes (yes i do),work in the shop,drive(i know,i know)' If you'd like me to send you one PM me your address.Anyway i'm not saying that i don't allow my personal pets on my shoulder but it's rare and they don't normally try to get there.But that's just the way they were trained. I think that this is one of those things, you know your pet and it's situation better than anyone else,
Attachments
parrot perches 008.jpg
parrot perches 008.jpg (111.57 KiB) Viewed 4165 times
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby MandyG » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:48 pm

That perch is actually a great idea. How far does it go down though? I'd be worried about the bird biting the front of my face, or is it far enough away it isn't an issue? That set up is something I've never considered.

I think you're definitely bang on about not being able to read them when they're up there. I feel that's really why it's so risky. You can read an Amazon like a book if you take two seconds to look at them, and if you don't read them you learn your lesson pretty quick! I'm really glad you replied. It is a controversial issue as it should be.

I'd say the most important thing is to know your bird, and even then it's a big risk. Without the bird meaning to it can hurt you in a hurry. Also only let an Amazon you know well on your shoulder. And if they have any step up/step down issues never let them on your shoulder. At the slightest sign of territorial aggression or just them refusing to step down do NOT let them have the opportunity to get near your shoulder. If your bird doesn't have any of those types of issues you may be ok, but accidents do happen. Most importantly know the bird, know the risks, make your decision wisely.
MandyG
Amazon

Postby captwest » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:03 pm

I've never had a issue with the bird biting my face , you can pick your chin up and he can't reach you. It's really pretty simple,36" of 1/8 ss TIG rod and 11' of wooden dowel, cost about 1 dollar, i give them to all of our new bird owners. sorry about the pic i'm still struggling with this damn puter stuff.
Attachments
parrot perches 002.jpg
parrot perches 002.jpg (108.82 KiB) Viewed 4153 times
captwest
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Postby Pacobel » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:38 pm

That perch is a great idea! How much do you charge for them?

I've learned to read Prince Paco pretty well (not that it's hard as he is completely transparent with his moods)- and when he's in horny bird mode, the shouldering goes down. He's pair bonded with me and it just causes problems, including him getting fired up when people get to close to us. That's actually when I've been bitten - when he's in the mood and I try to get him off of me, or him biting me b/c he wants everyone else to stay further away. He is very careful around my face and i think that goes back to a little over a year ago when he bit through my left nostril. I didn't really react, except to firmly tell him to "let go." When the gushing finally stopped and my nose was wrapped up in toilet paper, he got back up on my shoulder and pressed his head into mine and made gurgling noises. If he's looking ornery, I use the T perch (with a hand guard) and turn it into a game of "roller coaster" by bobbing him around the house saying "wheeeeee."

Paco is scary smart, though, and extremely perceptive. I think if his first owner hadn't been an alcoholic nut who tried to kill them both, he could have been another Alex. His new command for me is "come get me, want down." I really do trust him, and I think he's come to trust me as much.
Parrot has the unique ability of understanding and communicating with both the animal world and the human world. If you carry parrot medicine...your words are a reflection of your inner spirit. ----Excerpt from Animal Walk
Pacobel
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon

Postby MandyG » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:47 am

captwest wrote:I also saw where someone told you that amazons would only bond with one person, please don't believe it! Nothing is further from the truth , yes they prefer one person over another however my pet amazons crave attention from both my wife , kids and "play " with the dogs.Jake has never meet a man with a beard that she didn't love and will sing and dance to gain their attention, perfect strangers can pet and play with her if she likes them, regardless of their gender/race, (she's a YN hen).

I'd like to clarify that I was referring to my own experience and my own amazon. As with most parrots, without proper socialization they can easily become one person birds. Unfortunately for us, my husband, most of my family, and most of my friends are scared of birds. Which really didn't leave many socializing opportunities. I have a few friends that can handle Mojo without any problems because they've done so since I first brought him home. Most of my friends/family want nothing to do with him except to talk to him from a distance. One day my friend's sister's boyfriend came over and he asked if he could hold Mojo, I told him yes and started to explain how he should ask him to step up (I find most people that know nothing of birds thinks it's a good idea to just shove their finger in the bird's face and then wonder why they got bit) and he picked him up and started giving him head scratches and they were the best of friends. After, he told me that he used to live with a roommate that had a blue fronted amazon. So I'm starting to think that he's not really a one person bird, it's more that the people that are the problem ;) .
MandyG
Amazon

Postby captwest » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Hey Miss Mandy, i think your right parrots can "read" people, seem like people who get along with parrots seem to get along with most parrots.
captwest
Amazon

Postby GlassOnion » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:36 am

While we're on the subject of amazons here..... Can I budge in with a question? (before the thread dies :P)
I'm seriously considering an amazon as my lifelong companion maybe in the next few years or so, and upon research I've noticed the descriptions for the smaller amazons seem to sound the same in text.

What are the differences between species such as the lilac crowned, panama, redlored, and white fronted? For the most part, they are calmer, quieter and less moody especially during hormonal stages. Also I read somewhere that one of the above was more cuddly and played on its backs and such- although I can't remember anymore.. Are they overall similar?

Also captwest, what is your reasoning for being partial to the panamanians?
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby reyz324 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:06 am

I have always heard that all amazons are loud, but i think i have to disagree because mine never really makes too much of a racket, sure once you get him going he can be but its never really been an issue with me. as far as hormonal rage i have never had a problem with mine either. all birds are diffrent so it varies on the bird. i have heard the hot 3(DYH, YN and BF) can be very mean but when hormonal but i cant really say because i have no experience with either of those amazons, oh yea i forgot to mention, i see every where that redloreds are shy and such and i do agree with that because he gets really quiet around strangers.
reyz324
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Red-Lored amazon

Postby Pacobel » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:59 am

Hi GlassOnion,
I have read several places that the Mealies are calmer, overall, but I have a DYH, and he's not lived up to the legend. I think that, overall, they are largely one-person birds but many animals have their favorite person but are quite social. Mine came around to being really social, and has even developed some man-crushes even though 2 years ago he hated men b/c of his previous owner. He's not particularly noisy - we do have "scream-fests" and it's a shared experience and includes other sounds mixed in with the screaming. I figure he's a bird - would be like telling a dog not to bark. It's only once every 1-2 weeks.

From the sources I've used for my edification, it seems that the breeders can play a major role in the shaping of their personalities - a good breeder can make all the difference between a well-socialized and more physically affectionate bird, and one who is less tolerant and more aggressive. I think what can be accepted as true is that they are very loyal and are very goofy.

Keep reading, and maybe meet some birds in person. You'll know when you meet the right one, and I'm looking forward to a lifetime with mine! :amazon: :D
Parrot has the unique ability of understanding and communicating with both the animal world and the human world. If you carry parrot medicine...your words are a reflection of your inner spirit. ----Excerpt from Animal Walk
Pacobel
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species