Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

considering a larger bird should i wait?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

considering a larger bird should i wait?

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon May 10, 2010 5:56 am

ok i have been considering getting a larger bird for a while now (Over a year) i was thinking a Senegal or and African grey BUT im starting my course at university in animal management captive wild animals next year and would like some advice on if it would be wise to wait as i will be working and university (no play time) would it be fair on the bird to get it now or would it be more beneficial for both of us if i wait until after next year when i have my own place (and my degree) :) im sure experienced parrot owners on this forum will understand my concerns.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: considering a larger bird should i wait?

Postby Michael » Mon May 10, 2010 7:20 am

I think you pretty much answered your own question.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MandyG » Mon May 10, 2010 8:57 am

TheNzJesse wrote:im starting my course at university in animal management captive wild animals next year and would like some advice on if it would be wise to wait as i will be working and university (no play time)

It really depends on your situation, but since you said you won't have any time for 'play time' I'd agree with Michael in saying you answered your own question. Only you really know how much time you have to spend with your birds though. I work full time, commute an hour each way and take distance courses at night but my bird (and other animals and my husband) are a priority and I make time for them all. I was already working and had started working towards my designation prior to making the decision of getting a parrot so I already knew what my life was going to be like for the next 5 or so years.

You may find that after you start working and going to university that you do have enough time, but if I were you I'd go through a full year of it so you really know how much time you have to spare. It's much better to wait and realize that you could have managed to have a bird a year ago and to get one then than to get a bird and realize while you're in the middle of exams that you really shouldn't have gotten one.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby TheNzJessie » Tue May 11, 2010 4:38 am

i decided that i am going to wait until i am at university to see how much free time i will actually have. it would also depend on the apartment allowing pets i guess....
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Return to Parrot Species