Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

our conure is home at last

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

our conure is home at last

Postby Lisa » Mon May 10, 2010 11:21 am

hello Everyone:

On thursday evening we went in to BP to visit our conure Eric, and were told by the way he is not a Jenday conure but a gold Cap conure, and that we can take him home on Friday afternoon. well it would have been nice to have a little more notice and been better if it was on Sat but sense BP is so busy I do believe they never send birds home over the weekend.

So Eric has been home Sense Friday afternoon, we had one of those long ropes hanging from the top and had to take it out because he would not come down from the top of it, so once he gets used to things I will put it back, now he only stays on the one side, so I leave that dish out so that he goes over and eats his regular food and water, started eating the mix cook stuff and did eat peppers, he seemed to not want fruit, so stopped that for the time being, we take him back tuesday night, for a weigh in and so they can check him to make sure he did not loose weight, which he might have, when we took him home he was 109 grams, and was that the whole week, they had put him and others in a cage before we took him home as they had to move babies in. he seems to be adjusting to the dogs barking but they still need to get used to him. 1 out of 7 dogs have been over whelping about Eric, we have him blocked in one section.

once the dogs settle down I will move the gate and let them check things out.

we are keeping him in his cage more then when we went to the store so that he can get used to his new cage.

I would love to post pictures, however I do not know how to post them and still have to finsih the roll.

it seems like he stays on the one side of the cage, where I would put the treat dish, so I am keeping that out so that he eats his food and drinks, and in the evening i put the treat dish in. at first I mixed the treats with the mix food to make sure he would eat.

I was told that the first couple of days that he might not eat which was true.

I did get a harness before we took him home and started putting it on him at the store but not sense he has been home, due to getting him comfort of his new home, he is the only bird, so he went from being around alot of birds to just him so I am guessing it will take some time??

any help would be great.

Lisa and Ray - owned by Eric, Gold Cap conure
Lisa
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: jenday conure
Flight: No

Re: our conure is home at last

Postby notscaredtodance » Mon May 10, 2010 2:23 pm

Just try to socialize him while he's young as much as possible Taking him out of the cage and playing might be too hands on, but even sitting next to the cage while watching TV/on the phone/on the computer is great for socializing a new bird, so that they can get used to your presence. Birds are definitely sensitive so yes, it will take some time for him to get comfortable.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Return to Parrot Species