Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

what bird would ou pick?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: what bird would you pick?

Postby Natacha » Wed May 12, 2010 2:29 pm

budgiebuddy wrote:Well right now i am trying to find a place that i can adopt or buy a sennie i am just wandering what types of birds people like?

What parrots other people like aren't going to necessarily be what you will like.

What are you looking for in a parrot?

Why do you want a Senegal? Is there any reason in particular?

If we know what you are looking for in a parrot, it's much easier to recommend some species over others.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: what bird would you pick?

Postby budgiebuddy » Wed May 12, 2010 6:09 pm

Natacha wrote:
budgiebuddy wrote:Well right now i am trying to find a place that i can adopt or buy a sennie i am just wandering what types of birds people like?

What parrots other people like aren't going to necessarily be what you will like.

What are you looking for in a parrot?

Why do you want a Senegal? Is there any reason in particular?

If we know what you are looking for in a parrot, it's much easier to recommend some species over others.

i want a senegal because they are not to big but not to small. I am not really asking a recomendation I am just wandering what people like about differnt species and why!!!!!!!???????
budgiebuddy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: budgie

Re: what bird would ou pick?

Postby TheNzJessie » Wed May 12, 2010 11:36 pm

these things i would take into consideration before 1 recommend a type of bird to someone

space, time, experience and money. because if u dont have a lot of space a large bird is not going to work. if you dont have a lot of time no bird is going to work (in my opinion) and if u have no experience i wouldn't recommend certain types of birds. and of course money because birds vary in cost. and even diet if you recommend nectar feeders. for someone who has no experience i would recommend bird sitting for someone to see if birds are right for you. and after that i would recommend a small seed eating bird such as a budgie. for people with small amounts of experience i would recommend conures and lorikeets. with people who have the extra experience money and time and love parrots and know what there getting them selfs into, i would assume that they know enough to pick a bird out for them self :)
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby Athena&beepbeep'smom » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:59 pm

People ask me that all the time when they see my birds (we go loads of places in our flight suits.) And it sounds awful but the answer to most people is "you don't really want one at all." My friends coworkers, acquaintences etc. want to look into birds because mine look all cool stepping up on command and wearing their little flight suits. They don't know about the mash cooking, vegetable chopping, sprout growing, grocery bill expanding, poop scraping, screaming, or frankly the nerve damage you get in your hands from the first 3 weeks of flight suit training.

But having said that, the best parrot for you is the one you connect with. I was looking for a second one, knew I couldn't have any real loud screams cuz I'm an apartment dweller and went forth into the world meeting birds. I met some awesome ones and one abused amazon that nearly ate me (still have a scar) but then I met this little baby white capped pionus who was totally spoiled and awful but also totally reaching out to me in her own way we clicked. So now I guess I think White Capped Pionus are the best parrots but really I think Athena is the best parrot and I would even if she was an amazon like that awful one that bit me nearly to death. It's great to do research on species but in the end you gotta meet the bird and connect.
Athena&beepbeep'smom
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White Capped Pionus, Pacific Parrotlet

Postby Cozzy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:46 pm

I reckon as parrot keeping gets more popular, we will see more casual owner, that doesn't know what parrot keeping is..... and more parrots are needed to be rehome. Therefore, I don't noramlly recommend other people to keep parrot unless one knows what one is doing.
Cozzy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Budgie
cape

Previous

Return to Parrot Species