Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

what bird would ou pick?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

what bird would ou pick?

Postby budgiebuddy » Mon May 10, 2010 3:54 pm

what type of bird would you most likely tell somebody that is geting a bird to get????
budgiebuddy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: what bird would ou pick?

Postby notscaredtodance » Mon May 10, 2010 5:57 pm

Although I don't agree with a LOT of things steve hartman (hartman aviaries) says, I do agree that "If you dont have time for a macaw/cockatoo then you don't have time for any bird"

The problem with people asking what bird is "best" is that they're looking for, which bird will talk really easily, will love me to death, won't have issues being alone if I decide I don't want to spend a lot of time on it, and will be prettiest.

If only money is an issue, a cockatiel or little green cheek conure would be great.

The rest of the things, like talking ability (African greys) and cuddling ability (cockatoos) arent a guarantee. Your bird may not utter a phrase and may bond to your spouse/child rather than you.

So. I don't like to say that one bird is better than the other, because the more I'm able to interact with each kind of bird, whether it be at the pet store or aviaries that I visit, the more I find special things about each BIRD, rather than each species. When offering advice to someone new to parronting, I'd probably give 4 or 5 species and let the owner work from there.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby MandyG » Mon May 10, 2010 6:47 pm

An Amazon, just because they're awesome! :lol:

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't recommend a certain type of bird. I'd ask them to think about a few things such as available space in their house (for cages, play stands, etc.), their living arrangements and neighbor situation to decide on the volume of bird (a macaw or cockatoo just wouldn't work in an apartment!), and their bird experience to determine what size of bird they're most comfortable with. Something like a yellow-naped Amazon isn't a great first bird!

After that I'd give them some suggestions of species that might work for them and tell them to do a lot of research on them and to handle as many of those birds as possible. Also they should keep in mind the life span of the bird they are considering. Don't know where you're going to be in 20 years? Don't get a larger bird that has a 20-50 year life span. If you're younger, have a steady lifestyle but know you're not going to have children or anything for 5-10 years and don't have a plan after that, maybe a budgie is right for you.
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby bmsweb » Mon May 10, 2010 7:34 pm

We started with 1 Budgie and he was pretty much very low maintenance! We had him for 2 and half years before we got a Cockatiel, which was more work and more mess to clean up! Now we also have a pair of Green Cheek Conures and I am forever cleaning up after them.

I think if I had started with the Green Cheeks before developing a passion for parrots I would have freaked out. Well that's my 2 cents worth.

BTW: I love all our birds and there is no one I would rank higher than the other. They are all unique with their own personalities :D

Not sure if this helps or causes more confusion!

Good Luck
Paul
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby Titanius » Mon May 10, 2010 9:40 pm

If I had to just blurt something out it'd be the budgie. They were the first birds I owned and they sorta introduced me to the parrot owning world. They were messy (poop in water) and somehow getting poo in nearby pictures, you name it. So that experience kinda prepared me.

But, again my life and setup was and is different from other people. Who knows if a Lovebird would better suit them? Just saying a specific species cuts people off from seeing the potential other parrots have as being good beginner pets. The rule of thumb is start small,keep lifespan and lifestyle in mind.
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby RudysMom » Tue May 11, 2010 12:30 am

get :quaker: a quaker , they are very smart and easy to take care of :) or maybe a Senegal easy to take care and smart to :)
RudysMom
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Opey ...green quaker Rudy...TAG Cody....CAG
Squiggy.....GCC and Blueberry blue female quaker

Postby pchela » Tue May 11, 2010 1:18 am

I'd have to gauge the persons personality before picking a bird for them. For somebody who wants the most awesome bird though, I'd recommend a Senegal! :mrgreen: :senegal:
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby HyperD » Tue May 11, 2010 3:18 pm

It also matters on so much more things, how much time they will spend with it, how noisey the parrot can be, how much room they have... I don't think you can really generalise all that much...

Then there is the factor of how experienced they are... Some parrots are more hard minded so not really suitable as a first parrot...

I would agree with pchela, sennies are great first birds... Although I am biased as that is the one I have recently got :D
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Natacha » Wed May 12, 2010 9:41 am

budgiebuddy wrote:what type of bird would you most likely tell somebody that is geting a bird to get????

What are you looking for in a bird?
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Re: what bird would you pick?

Postby budgiebuddy » Wed May 12, 2010 12:47 pm

Well right now i am trying to find a place that i can adopt or buy a sennie i am just wandering what types of birds people like?
budgiebuddy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: budgie

Next

Return to Parrot Species