Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My African Grey

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

My African Grey

Postby Kwise150 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:37 pm

Greys do not like changes to their habitat. I have had Cosmo for about 25 years. For the first time in all these years he went on a chewing binge and I need to replace his perches. What best way to handle this so he doesn’t freak out and get stressed over the changes.

Thanks,
Karen
Kwise150
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African grey
Flight: Yes

Re: My African Grey

Postby liz » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:44 am

Make the next on chewable. I use tree branches with the with the bark still on. He will love it and start his chewing on it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: My African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:18 am

Hi, Karen and grey and welcome to the forum! I would not worry too much over it. In my personal experience, I have never found grays to be so intransigent about changes but, if you are worried, just put the same type of perches [I assume they are not dowels, right?] in the same place the old ones were while he is out flying and he will be just fine.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Species