Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Poinus

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Poinus

Postby Cozzy » Wed May 12, 2010 11:33 am

What do you guys think about a blue head poinus?
I am considering getting another parrot, after reading some website, a poinus look good to me, nearly as good as Poicephalus. Beside poinus I am also considering jardines.
Does anyone have any experience with trainnign a poinus?
Cozzy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Budgie
cape
Flight: Yes

Re: Poinus

Postby pchela » Wed May 12, 2010 1:11 pm

Everybody I know who has a Pionus LOVES them. They are supposed to be mild mannered, fairly quiet and very sweet.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby lzver » Sat May 15, 2010 8:15 pm

A woman at our local parrot club meeting brought her blue head poinus with her and I got a chance to hold him ... he was about 10 years old and he was a very sweet and beautiful bird. I'm even considering that as a third bird now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Cozzy » Mon May 17, 2010 8:37 am

I am considering getting a blue head/white cap.......or Jardine
Cozzy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Budgie
cape

Postby Athena&beepbeep'smom » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:51 pm

I have had my new white capped pionus since March. I love her. She's gorgeous and already imitating sounds and very personable and flight suit trained, etc. Does all kinds of cool behavior. The only thing you have to get used to is that they are a little more standoffish and less cuddly than some especially at first. Athena loves to be out and around people and especially loves to be talked to or sung to but she doesn't want to be rubbed all over and cuddled all the time. Now after three months she likes me to rub her head for short periods and will let me rub her beak for about a half hour because that's her favorite thing but she only tolerates being touched anywhere else. And that took time, now she is affectionate in other ways and loves interaction and attention but i just don't think she's ever gonna be a real cuddly huggy bird and it took 3 months of constant work to get her here, she used to be very standoffish about being touched. That was hard for me at first because Im used to very cuddly birds, but it's just not her personality.
Athena&beepbeep'smom
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White Capped Pionus, Pacific Parrotlet

Return to Parrot Species