Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Caique with other birds?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Caique with other birds?

Postby Anouk » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi,

My name is Anouk and I'm new here :)
The last couple of weeks i've been reading a lot on this forum, but also on other bird forums.
For the last year we've been thinking (my boyfriend and i) of getting a new bird.
We moved last year, and wanted to wait, till we found some peace in our new home and our other 2 birds we're also settled.

We have a Forpus of 1.5 year called Puck and a Parakeet of 9 called Sookie.
We gave especially Sookie a long time to adapt to her new home. I have her from little.
But now we want to adopt a Caique.

It's something i've been thinking of for quite some time. However it is a very unique bird.
I read a lot into housing, care etc etc, but i would like some experiences from people, if you don't mind sharing.

The part i doubt most about is the fact that i read that Caiques don't get a long well with other birds.
Does anybody know if this is also with baby caiques. Like when they grow up together?
This is really crucial, 'cause i don't want to take a high rish with my other 2 birds.
I know that there is always a risk of not liking each other, i have experience with that from the past, but it is not an option if they would fight till the death of another bird.

Also the 2 we've got now can fly around the house all day, also if we're not around.
There places / cages are 24/7 open. Is this also possible with a well trained caique?

I know these are some weird questions, but when i take in a new bird, i want to make sure i can give it the best possible care and home.

Thank you very much for the help. :)
Anouk
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A parakeet and a Forpus
Flight: Yes

Re: Caique with other birds?

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:48 am

Hello, Anouk, Puck and Sookie! Welcome to the forum.

I have a male black capped caique called Javi and it is true that he doesn't seem to particularly like other birds but, although I cannot speak for the entire species [having one bird of a species tells you next to nothing about it], mine doesn't appear to actively dislike them, he mostly ignores them. He doesn't like other birds perch where he is and, whenever one does, he promptly does what I calll his 'warrior march' to scare them off but my birds are used to being with other birds and take it with a grain of salt and simply fly off. He is a holy terror with other animals and people though... All my dogs and cats are terrified of him and promptly turn tail and run from him - and my husband refuses to sweep if he is out of his cage because he will come after him :lol:

What I would suggest is for you to get another parrotlet and budgie so the ones you have now can have companions of their own species before you consider adding a caique or any other third species to the mix. For one thing [the most important consideration in my opinion], the little ones are sooooo much happier and healthier when they have somebirdy of their own and, for another, if they have a companion or mate, they are more liable to stay on their own and not approach the caique -a species much bigger than the ones you have.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Anouk » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:58 pm

Hello,

my excuses, i had my message typed but not sent,
i thought i already did, my so my sincere apologies.

I will take your advice in mind,
we also have a bunny and guinea pig, so i will really have to think this through.
We would like one if we are settled downstairs in in probably about ayear from now due to renovation. We are considering another budgie, i couldn't come up by that name in the previous comment. But i wanted to see if there we're other possibibiliets with bird species, however i'm not really sure about it :)

Thank you so very much for the information. I really appreciate it and also for the good laugh with Javi coming after your husband. :D
Anouk
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A parakeet and a Forpus

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:57 am

Well, let me tell you that if you enjoy a good laugh, caiques are perfect for that! My Javi has four kinds of walk [something I have never seen in any other species and I have a bit of experience on that]. He has the normal walk [you know, just one foot in front of the other], the 'warrior march' [he lifts his feet with each step and actually marches like a little soldier], his 'cool dude walk' [he walks like Leroy Brown in the second Crocodile Dundee movie, kind of with a one-sided hitch or a limp] and his 'bunny hop' [he advances by hopping with both his feet together -cockatoos and macaws do this one, too]. But he is a cantankerous thing that often nips the hand where he is perched several times in quick succession -he even does this to me when he is annoyed.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Species